Cheesemonger is Still a Thing

Comments

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in some of the Mexican cheeses like asadero, chihuahua, cotija, and queso fresco. But they're almost impossible to find in grocery stores in the United States.

Has anyone found these for sale in the US or Canada, or successfully made them yourself?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@VermontCathy I will have to say no to both.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermontCathy I have been able to find chihuahua locally (Southeast Michigan) . We have several small business Latino markets in our area and one grocery store that is state wide where I have seen been able to purchase it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it available with an national companies so that probably doesn't help you.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hispanic population of Vermont is tiny, so I haven't found any Hispanic groceries yet. But there must be some around somewhere, so I'll keep looking.

There's no lack of artisanal cheese producers here, but most focus on other types of cheese. Maybe I can find one who makes some of the flavorful Mexican cheeses.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin

My parent's grocery store had, as its feature, a cheese section... it was even called the cheese house. TO this day, I can smell limburger cheese if it is present anywhere in even the biggest grocery store. I can sniff it out and estimate its age. You don't have to spend a ton though. A couple of years ago, I was in a big chain grocery store and they had some nice brie and camembert marked down because it was old. They were so ripe as to almost have the limburger odor. I bought all they had for like $2 per 8 oz wedge!!!!!!! Those were very strong cheeses, almost runny they were so soft. BEST OMELLETES EVER!!!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fascinating article. I especially liked the part on how to store cheese properly.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a large population of Hispanic people where I live. Here is a link to check out:https://www.thespruceeats.com/brief-tour-of-mexican-cheeses-4118015

I know we have had it at our local stores and I saw where you might be able to get some of the cheeses on Amazon.