Help me save a face scrub!

Help! My daughter made me a facial scrub out of coffee, coconut oil, & sugar (I believe in the raw). I tried to use it 1 time and it feels like it is going to rip my skin off! What can I do to make it smoother, so I can use it? I am thinking maybe she used coffee beans that were ground but not brewed. Mine was the trial and she has since used a different recipe. I am trying to find a way to use this rather than toss it. There is a ton of oil in it, thinking maybe I can add more sugar and use an immersion blender? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 1,328 admin

@gardneto76 yep I’d put it in a blender and try to knock off the “rough edges”

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 6,009 admin

I agree with @JodieDownUnder.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Would heating it in a pan and allowing the grounds to precipitate out be a possibility? You could always add more sugar back in and then refrigerate to harden it back up a bit. I am trying it imagine the consistency now...

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭

I'd also try blending it to make it smoother. If it's still not smooth enough maybe adding one or more of these castile soap bar that's been ground up, baking soda, powdered clay. Blend in blender to combine. Hope it works :)

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 1,328 admin

@monica197 maybe heat in the pan and then blend. It will be easier to scrape out of the blender and then refrigerate.

• SuperC
    SuperC Cook at Wahlburgers The Frozen Tundra in the Northern MidwestPosts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

@gardneto76 can you mix used brewed coffee grounds and coconut oil together, as a face scrub without sugar?

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

Add powdered calendula

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

@SuperC I believer there is sugar in the raw in there. She honestly made is a year ago, and every time I try to use it I remember why I don’t. I think she should have used the already brewed grounds as they would have been softer, or maybe even instant coffee.

@nicksamanda11 I have not heard of powdered calendula. Do you just take my dried calendula flowers and powder them? I am guessing make sure to skip the ones with larger seeds. I can see the calendula being calming after scraping the daylights out of my face.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I am going to try warming it up in a pot and using the immersion blender to smooth things out. I have some calendula infused oil, maybe I will add a little of that and more sugar once cools back down.

Did you know?

Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant in the world; it can grow 35 inches in a single day.

🍅 Tomatoes: From Seeds To Sauce Toolkit 🍅

Master this Holy Grail of Gardening and benefit from a plant that offers tons of essential vitamins and nutrients!

Learn More

Over 610,088 people are apart of The Grow Network.

You can help us reach 1 Million! Give the gift of sustainability by sending your loved ones a Grow Network gift card.

Give them what they want

Today, do the biggest small thing that will better the world, and be satisfied with your efforts.

Marjory Wildcraft
Join our Discord Chat!

Get even more connected with The Grow Network.

Dive in here