A Little Holiday Cheer

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not due a decorated tree inside but I did do a decoration on my front door and my goal is to finally get a Poinsettia to grow a whole year!

Tagged:

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,481 admin

@Lisa K i love Poinsettias and I wish that I to could grow them successfully. The one we have is a tad leggy & not much colour. I will try another location. They’re at their best a couple of months before Xmas, so the ones you see in the nursery’s at Xmas time must be tricked into growing like that. Have a Merry Xmas.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,215 admin
    edited December 2021

Haha, mine is a few years old and looks really horrible. I cut it way back. It seems to get a bit more red at the end of January for some reason and misses December. Maybe it is getting ready for Valentines Day.

The ones in the nurseries are certainly forced to turn up here, by giving limited daylight to them, then deep darkness, starting in early October & watering them with a special concoction until they were sold. I helped plant some plugs one year into their growing pots. It was an honor to get to do that as not everyone got that opportunity. I was also offered the opportunity to keep them going that year, but decided that since I was expecting then I didn't want my baby exposed to fungicides & such that needed to be used in the greenhouse situation.

I found that after Christmas, it will die back a bit. At this time, a trim is acceptable. It will "revive" as the days get longer.

Another thing I learned at the nursery is that the plants hate being waterlogged and hate being dry just the same. They would flood the tables to about a 1" depth (I loved doing this for some odd reason) and would let them sit in the water for 20 minutes. After that, the table was drained until the next time they needed a drink.

• Lisa K

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too @JodieDownUnder!

@LaurieLovesLearning I think that has been my issue in the past, they have either gotten to dry or to wet. Also I had someone once say that if they are small plants to leave them in their pots until they are about one inch in diameter.

• Lisa K

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas – Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

2021 was another year of challenges and good changes.

My dad had a couple of health issues which now seem to be getting better and I am grateful for the time I have been able to spend with him.

I was able to do that because I retired the end of June (this time for good)! I have been keeping busy being with my dad, taking care of both his house and mine but still finding time to do fun things such as go to the gym at the Senior Center (yes I am old enough especially this year J) and learning & doing new things.

I am looking forward to 2022 and this year I am planning on spending more time in the garden, sharpening my cooking & baking skills while learning some new ones such as knitting, photography, drawing and painting.

I hope everyone was able to stay healthy during 2021 and continue to stay healthy & happy in 2022!

With much love

Lisa 

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to everyone! I am perfectly happy to not decorate my house. I still make the breads and I haven't made cut out cookies this year but I can do it for other holiday's.

I worked retail for years and it ruined me for some holidays. I appreciate poinsettias and know that they don't grow well for me.

Thank you @Lisa K for using this beautiful picture of Christmas!!

• Lisa K

@dipat3005 you are very welcome and the Poinsettia is the only thing I did this year but I will be making my cinnamon buns tomorrow morning😁

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the Poinsettia. I've never gotten one to live a whole year!

• Lisa K

Thanks @marjstratton if I can keep it a year it will be the first time!

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@Lisa K It's very pretty - most recent years I haven't decorated for Christmas, and probably wouldn't have this year either, but another family member wanted to. In the end, I'm happy we did, it's pretty. I hope you succeed with the poinsettia goal!

• Lisa K
  • Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K That is beautiful! I haven't ever tried to grow one, but they are really pretty.

• Lisa K
  • SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

How is your Poinsettia growing along? @Lisa K

• Lisa K

Hi @SuperC still growing! The red petals are starting to die back but the stems are still green!

• Lisa K

Hi @SuperC outdoors and I just moved from the porch (it was there for decorations) to the front of the house which faces east so it will get morning sun.