Bountiful Organic Harvest - Paddock to Plate

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

In Australia this summer it is very wet & humid. Some veggies do well, others not so. We have been eating seasonally out of the garden for a couple of months now. Getting creative with beans, zucchini, cucumbers & herb recipes. Not long until the corn & okra start producing. The tomatoes have been sporadic, not really liking the humidity and some lettuce just rotted due to the wet.

Today I harvested zucchini, beans, cucumbers, onions & spinach. Tonight for dinner a bean & feta salad & zucchini fritters. For Xmas eve I made a veggie curry & most veg came from the garden, I felt a bit chuffed, especially feeding family that don’t garden. They enjoyed it.

What have you been up to in your garden?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those veggies look wonderful.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have anything fresh to harvest right now as my seasons are opposite. But those look beautiful! Makes me look forward to spring and being able to do the same. Thank you for the picture @JodieDownUnder.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
    edited December 2021

@JodieDownUnder Ours is sleeping under a thick white, moisture-laden blanket of snow.

But, my seed orders will be going in shortly. They were going to go in earlier, but other things needed my attention.

My indoor plants are doing okay. I'm a bit concerned for my banana plants and I've decided that it is just a bit too cold by the windows. It is also quite cool in the house. After transplanting the 4 pups, it looks like I now have a total of three healthy plants. I really don't know if a fourth will pull through or not. It was difficult getting enough roots for each to thrive. Anyway, they are still in a bright room, getting supplemental heat from an infrared heater.

It would sure seem strange having Christmas in summer. Lol That brings me to this question...do you have any holidays there to break up winter or does that not matter?

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder My mouth is salivating because of your beautiful bounty. 😋

Here it can't decide if it wants to be winter or fall. On Christmas day here in South Carolina we could have dressed for summer. And the same with the last few days, so much warmer than it should be.😓

I'm so looking forward to planning my garden. My hands are just itching to get into my seed packets and your picture has me all antsy now too. 😉

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning as far as holidays go, school, university etc. School kids finish school a week before Xmas & go back at the end of January.( 6 week break, major summer holidays) University students finish up end Nov & go back mid to late Feb.(with no break in between) The school year is broken up into 4 terms, roughly 10 weeks each, with a 2 week break in April, July & September. So 40 weeks of school & 12 weeks of holiday, broken up throughout the year. University, 9 months straight. We celebrate summer more so than any other season. 😀

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@JodieDownUnder Oh I feel so nostalgic about spring and summer season when I read your post and see those beautiful vegetables. I am glad the days started getting longer here. It will come. The spring. With all the gardening joy!