Fried bananas with palm honey

We try to avoid using sugar as much as possible. It is not that easy. Especially during this Christmas/New Year time. I am eager to try out desserts without sugar and fat and I brought one recipe from Canary Islands where they grow lots of bananas and produce palm honey.

it is very simple, very quickly done, and contains only healthy components.

Ingredients: 1banana per person, a bit of butter (organic), cinnamon, palm honey.

to do: slice bananas in halves, melt butter in a frying pan, fry bananas on one side, turn them round, spray with cinnamon and palm honey, turn bananas and switch off the heat. The pan will still be hot enough. Spray with some cinnamon and palm honey on the other side. Place them on plates and pour over melted butter with palm honey if any is left in the pan.

one can use date syrup or, of course, maple syrup instead of palm honey. Or honey.

and one can use coconut oil instead of butter. I tried it out. It worked very well.

we love this dessert and plant to have it again for New Year’s Eve.

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@jowitt.europe Another take on what you’ve just described, that I ate as a kid. Slice the skin on the banana on the concave side, push some pieces of your favourite chocolate between the skin & the flesh. Wrap in foil and place in coals of the fire for about 5 minutes, then when cooled a little, eat with a spoon! A yummy camping dessert. It could be adapted for a BBQ or oven. Another simple fave, mango cheeks grilled for 5 minutes on the BBQ & served with ice cream! Yummo.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use very little white sugar 20 months out of the year. Then for Thanksgiving through New Year's, I go to town with pies, cookies, and so forth. I made a mistake this year and made too many lies, thinking that we would be able to have potluck dinners again by now.

We do use maple syrup all year, and there are a few dinner recipes that add a small amount of sugar for flavor.

Mostly, though, I prefer savory to sweet flavors.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@JodieDownUnder We did this last summer. It was quickly a favorite. I think our recipe included mini marshmallows.

Hey, is anyone interested in a DIY honey marshmallow recipe? It's a good, but sweet one that you can actually roast on a stick. It makes the best s'mores with 80-85% dark chocolate squares.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@VermontCathy 😂 Thanks for the chuckle. You have very long years, although the past 2 certainly felt that way!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

*chuckle* What, didn't you realize I live and garden on Mars? Our year is 687 days long!

😎

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be starting to look for healthier recipes myself. This sounds delicious. I'd like to give it a try. Thank you for sharing it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2021

@VermontCathy So I bet that right now you have a shortage of...

water?

Is it a supply chain thing or purely environmental? 🤔 We will have to figure out how to help you, I guess, but brainstorms don't hold much water...Earth to Mars... 🤣

Ah, the goodies must be getting to me.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@JodieDownUnder thank you very much! I will try it out tomorrow for the new year’s eve. We have 7 guests in our house plus we two. Thus 9 bananas to make. I guess one does not need a lot of chocolate. And I will involve everybody in making these bananas 😊

@VermontCathy Every time when someone joins the network I am fascinated that the network covers almost all the continents. But Mars!!! Anyone from Venus? Register....

@LaurieLovesLearning marshmallows with 80-85% dark chocolate sound healthy! Could I have a recipe?

• LaurieLovesLearning

@jowitt.europe I will post it in the Recipe section. 😁

• jowitt.europe

@JodieDownUnder I tried out your childhood recipe with our guests on New Year’s Eve. Everybody loved them!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@jowitt.europe thats great, banana & chocolate go well together & its a no mess recipe! Did you do them on hot coals or on the bbq/oven?

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

Yum, it all sounds great! now to go find LaurieLovesLearning's recipie!

• jowitt.europe

@JodieDownUnder we did everything outside as this is much more fun. We have a grill, but burned our own wood in it, so we had a nice bonfire for quite some time, and then we wrapped stuffed with chocolate bananas in foil and put on the grill to bake on embers. It was fun. Not only eating, but also making.