The joys of cooking with dried beans
After many years of using canned beans and finding that cooking dried beans was not worth the time and effort, I bought an Instant Pot Max pressure cooker. It has totally changed my usage of dried beans.
Now I can cook garbanzo beans quickly to make homemade hummus, or cook pinto beans quickly to make homemade refried beans.
Dried beans are cheaper than canned, and are easy to store. They keep for a long time.
I plan to grow more shelly beans in my garden this year, and perhaps more dried beans as well. It is great not to be buying all those relatively expensive canned beans!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter