Is this a nutrient deficiency?

monica197
monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a nutrient deficiency? If so, what is it that I am lacking?

I left the cucumber on the vine even a little longer to see if that would grow out the malformed end to the point that it has become a little yellow near the stem...with no luck.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@monica197 Were your cucumbers all like this? That would be my first question. If they were all that way, then I would suspect the type of seed/type of cuc, or a soil issue. I suspect it is just something that happened for no real reason, just like if one pea pod has one big pea & the rest doesn't develop.

Sometimes plants just grow differently.

I could be wrong, but this is my thought.

• monica197

These are nationals and what is pictured is not their typical shape.

Some were like this others are not.

I am starting to think it might be due to a fluctuation in water.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@monica197 Sometimes is a pollination problem. I see it here sometimes in early spring but not later in the season. Temp swings can create problems too.

And yes, water fluctuations can create this. I can have wet cool spring here and I see this more then than later in the growing year

Here is a link with 5 reasons. maybe this will help

https://lubbalubba.design/what-is-cucumber-fruit-curl-what-to-do-about-it/

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I don't usually grow cucumbers but my zucchini sometimes will do this.

I have always attributed it to either too much or too little water.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a similar problem 2 summers ago. All of my cucumbers were tiny like that but they didn't green up as well. I had given some seedlings to my neighbor that I had started from the same seeds. She had the same problem so I assumed it was the seeds. A couple of days later I found out that a friend that lives about 8 miles away had the same situation. He had bought his plant at a local nursery. He went back to the nursery and they told him that it was caused by the extreme fluctuations in rain that had happened that season. In each of our gardens it was all of the cucumbers, not just a select few.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@monica197 It sounds like your answer is water fluctuations.

That could explain why I've seen it here on some sometimes as well, even growing up. I never thought of it as a big deal. It is not uncommon, but neither is water fluctuations through the summer.

• monica197

Thank you!

I hand watered this morning ;-)