Autonomous JD Tractors announced, 2022
This is a reality.
There are many issues with this. There may be kids, adults or animals that could get in the way. Also, as the article states, the company owns all the data of the farmer's field. It is not his/her own. There are most likely other issues as well, like a malfunction and it runs into a ravine, rolls down a hill or into trees, buildings or other vehicles. That is both dangerous & expensive.
Most farmers don't know how to farm anymore. They started to lose their skills decades ago already. They hire experts for every aspect of their farm..."specialists" such as weed control "experts", soil testing people, weather specialists, etc. With this coming to reality, the farmer is really no longer relevant on a modern farm, except maybe in the management of experts/equipment and getting into debt...that the financial experts & bankers manage.
I know a few who still are dedicated to the John Deere brand, but many run equipment made by other companies for a myriad of good reasons.
Case IH had also announced this type of tractor, so one of my boys just said. They keep up with farm equipment developments more than I do. 😆
We were able to watch one autonomous piece of equipment, running at the Regina ag show 3 or 4 years ago. It was fascinating, but a frightening prospect just the same seeing such a large thing move without a person on it to control it.
The simplicity of gardening is basic land farming. Scaled up in a simple, natural and not conventional way, makes for a resilient present & future for the land, the farmer and more, as we all know. Stress is reduced for all. Ownership & knowledge is retained.
"Progress" isn't always progress.
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter