Exposure to Disinfectants

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,375 admin
edited January 2022 in Other News

Remember when using hand sanitizers frequently was highly discouraged because it was harmful to your health? This as recent as only a couple years ago. Now use has become acceptable and extremely widespread. Disinfecting everything multiple times/day is common practice.

Years ago, we switched to natural alternatives due to health risks and behavioral effects of cleaning chemicals. We try to avoid these as much as possible even now, for the same reasons.

Here is a recent small study that has been done on the marked increase of use within homes (nevermind public spaces) of known harmful substances. It sounds like it is a first study. Perhaps there will be more such studies in the future.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,517 admin

This is a good reminder article about the dangers of cleaning chemicals.

I have seen a commercial lately for Lysol wipes that are "biodegradable". And now that I have done a search, I have found several other brands advertising that they now have biodegradable products.

Really! Something that is supposed to kill "99.9%" of all bacteria is going to be good for the bacteria necessary for proper composting! What are people thinking!?!?!

I have requested an SDS sheet from Lysol as I can't find one for this specific product.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

We switched to natural alternatives years ago as well. I have not used hand sanitizer in years except a couple times recently due to the situation I was in. Trying to explain how harmful these things are to someone who is totally asleep to all of it and won't listen. Instead of arguing I just use the sanitizer my father in law offers. 😕

Funny but not - the company where my sister works switched to making hand sanitizer early on when all this craziness started. Of course now they've gone back to making their normal products and they have A LOT of sanitizer left. She gave everyone some for Christmas and it was shocking to see how excited everyone was to get it!

Years ago when I heard someone say that all those disinfectant wipes were registered as pesticides I threw them all out. Why would I want to wipe my house done with that?

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey Yes, it makes no sense.

@kbmbillups1 I never thought of them as pesticides, but it makes sense.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link! I remember reading about quats and pfalates in the past. It spurs me on to do more deep cleaning in my house - we have been living here for 2 months now, and I still keep smelling the perfume in the prior owner's cleaner. It reactivates when I wipe anywhere that was previously cleaned. The reminder that these things bind to and sit in the dust is the kick I needed.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for posting this---it really makes you think!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

Besides the chemical dangers, I remember when antibacterial soap was all the rage and then came MRSA. I wonder if all the zealous sanitizing going on will lead to other resistant types of bacteria long term.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@annbeck62 It certainly was that way, and if you read any commercial soap products that go into the dispensers, you will find that they contain two or more synthetic colors, often synthetic scents, and antibacterial agents. I was able to view some before the craziness began. Somebody left the covers open and so it was easily viewable. I am positive that the content hasn't changed at all...unless more may have been added. It is far from just soap.

Resistant bacteria is what they warned about before. I agree that this overzealousness will certainly lead to other resistant bacteria just as you suspect.

Keep people sick, right? It brings in the money.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I actually just did a research project last semester at my college using essential oils to kill bacteria (I am very excited to continue that research this semester as well). Many of them were very effective against E. coli (so alternatives are out there)!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soap (natural olive oil soap) and water are some of my best friends, and they've been proven to be effective. I disinfect with vinegar if it's something I can't wash, i.e., spinach.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who even brushes her teeth with homemade soap. Interesting.