How much Equisetum Hyemale is considered therapeutic?

Owl
Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I have gathered that it should only be taken for 10 days at a time but I don’t know how much to take. I’m average in height and weight and I need the connective tissue support and strengthening for bones and nails.

Best Answers

Answers

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
    edited January 2022

Oh wow, @torey -- this is such fantastic information. I'll admit that I hadn't thought of adding horsetail to my oatstraw infusions. I've actually been planning to do a 30-day test in which I drink oatstraw infusion every day, and I've also been wanting to add Equisetum hyemale to my regimen to see how it supports my body while I'm running. It looks like Rosalee recommends infusing milky oats with the oatstraw, too. Maybe I'll do a 30-day test of the oatstraw + milky oats + pinch of EH infusion to see what differences I notice....

• Owl

“Oats are considered a nutritive nervine. So they feed the nerves.”

Torey, could you explain this statement further please? I have severe nerve damage and would love to affect whatever repair processes I possibly can. While I have read that nerve tissue can regrow, I have no idea how to encourage or support the process.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@torey thanks a million. Just what I needed. I bought some horsetail from here and haven’t tried it yet. I tend to set things aside until I have a comfortable amount of information to try.

• Merin Porter

Okay, I started my "30-Day Milky Oats Challenge" this past Friday, February 11. I am using nourishing infusions -- so, steeping 1 oz of dried oat tops harvested in the milky stage in 4 c. boiling water overnight in a covered half-gallon mason jar. During this first week, I am adding a pinch of powdered Equisetum hyemale to the mixture and letting that steep overnight with the milky oat tops.

I have only been doing this for a few days, but here are my observations so far:

---->I feel a sense of what I might call "buoyant wellness" -- like I have a bit of an internal glow.

---->My nails seem like they might be growing faster than usual. Hard to say for sure since it's only been a few days, but I am keeping my eye on this.

---->The first couple of days, I drank this infusion during the day ... and was sleepy. Then I switched to drinking it at night, a couple of hours before bed. Much, much better. I'm feeling "glowy" during the day -- not sleepy -- and after I drink those milky oats at night, going to sleep is easy.

Okay, that's my initial report after drinking the milky oats/equisetum hyemale infusion for four days. (This evening will be my fifth time drinking it.) I'll try to keep reporting back on this in case anyone is interested in the results. :)

• Owl

Good to know Merin! I recently discovered that gluten is no longer my friend. I read that there is gluten in oatmeal but, does anyone know if there is gluten in oat straw and milky oats?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@Owl There is no gluten in oats. The reason that oatmeal isn't usually labelled gluten free is that there are often other seeds that sprout in the oat field, sometimes wheat, barley or rye. These can't be sorted out at a commercial harvest so there may be traces of gluten in oats and oat products. However, you can buy gluten free oatmeal. I'm not sure how they go about it. Maybe it is grown in an area that wheat isn't being grown so no chance of wind-borne or bird-borne seeds arriving in your field or maybe there is a way of sorting out small batches to make sure there is no wheat (or other species) in the oats.

I can't see there being any gluten in oatstraw. It is the leftover stalks after harvesting the oats. I don't believe there is any gluten in wheat straw either. Gluten is part of the seed, not any other part of the plant. But I suppose there could be cross contamination if there is something else in the field and the seeds were broken open and got on the straw.

As to milky oat tops, these are generally harvested for this specific market which is smaller than the market for oatmeal. As they are usually hand picked from the stalks, it would be easy to see if there happened to be any wheat in the mix.

Check with your supplier, though. I looked at Harmonic Arts and Mountain Rose. Both specified organic but neither one made any claims about gluten.

• Owl

The first article is no longer available. I have finally harvested the oats and horsetail and went back to get recipes and cannot find the page.

• Owl

That’s exactly what I needed to know, thanks! I’m undecided about the most efficacious way to use the oats and the horsetail, would it be better added to my tea or as a tincture? Will the horsetail dissolve in the tincture with the oat tops or the water in my tea?

• Merin Porter

@torey The post should stay on the blog indefinitely. It will eventually get updated, but even that shouldn't take it off the blog for long, and then it will get added back into the article mix....