Herbal latte

annbeck62
annbeck62 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭

This recipe was born out of looking in my cupboard and finding some things I forgot were there. It's now my current favorite so I thought I'd share:

I simmer 1 T chicory, 1 T cacao nibs, 1 t astragalus, 1 cinnamon stick in 3 or 4 cups water for about 15 - 20 min. Then I strain into a mug and add some vanilla protein powder and some MCT powder. Roasted dandelion root could probably be subbed for chicory. I don't add sweetener but you could sweeten to taste. You could leave out the astragalus, I just added it cause I found a bag I didn't even know I had. You could use milk instead of or with the powders, I just wanted the nutritional benefits of the powders. I'm out of dandelion root otherwise I'd roast some and add a tablespoon. I find that chicory combined with dandelion root creates a really good coffee type beverage without the caffeine.

Tagged:

Comments

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds tasty! And healthy.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good! I did something similar due to COVID, I created my version of Matcha Green tea Frappuccino and Latte, I use unsweetened Matcha tea powder, powdered Moringa and I sometimes add powered Saw Palmetto.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds tasty! 😋

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 That sounds delicious! I'll have to see about making myself a cup.

I'm looking for different warm drinks to try out. I'm getting tired of the couple I keep having.😊

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

annbeck62 Sounds interesting though I am not sure what MCT is.

• annbeck62

@vickeym MCT is derived from coconut oil. It's a healthy fat, really good for the brain. Usually you find it as an oil. I found it in powdered form and wanted to try it for convenience.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@annbeck62 I created my own sugarfree hot chocolate. (since I’m no sugar nor no sugar substitute of any kind) Per one cup of hot water; either boiled on a stovetop or use a microwave. Then ad: 1 T Cocoa Roasted Powder, unsweetened. 1 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon powder. 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground. 1/8 tsp Cardamom, ground. I use a fork to continuously stir and sip. It’s nice after shoveling the ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ⛄️ snow. Or, on a cold day to warm the innards.

One can also use sweetener if one chooses to do so.

• annbeck62

@SuperC that sounds really good. I've found using when I use spices, I don't even miss sugar the sugar.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds so good! And you where able to use what you had!

• vickeym

annbeck62 I think I would prefer adding a powder to my drink rather than an oil. A greasy cocoa doesn't sound appealing. 😝

• annbeck62

@vickeym adding MCT oil &/or butter to coffee became a thing when the bulletproof coffee craze came about. The key is to give the drink a quick blend in the blender and like magic you have a latte that is actually tasty. Powders are easier you can just stir although if you have time/inclination to blend you get the bonus of a frothy drink ;)

• vickeym

I have tried hot tea that way with just regular coconut oil and butter. Blended it wasn't bad. Can't drink coffee, though my husband drinks enough for both of us. Thanks for the information.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@annbeck62 great recipe! You’ve brought home a key thought, just use what you have and don’t be bashful mixing it up! When I want a fancy drink I’ll also add Mct oil, lecithin, cocoa butter To my coffee or herb or mushroom drink. And blend in a blender. Nice and frothy!