Teff Grain

I just read abut Teff Grain. I am trying to find more grains to use.

Has anyone used this?

Here is a bit of information:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/teff-gluten-free-whole-grain-3376844

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I have tasted and it is ok and I purchased some but haven't used it yet. I wasn't overly impressed with the taste. I probably bought some from the local bakery 2 years ago in banana bread. The banana bread recipe I use can be used with GF flours very easily but the banana bread from that bakery didn't taste very good.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love teff. Injera is between a crepe and a pancake, and it's a great gluten-free crepe. I agree that it has a distinct taste (somewhat nutty), but I like it. I made peanut butter cookies with it one time, and they disappeared fast:) I couldn't find the video I originally learned to make injera, but this guy comes pretty close. I didn't have the patience to let it ferment, so I used baking soda and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

It's easy to grow, if you want to start from scratch. I grew a small square of it as an experiment a couple years ago because I read It produces lots of plant material to bulk up a compost heap. And it does--with no real care, and hardly any water the plants were soon four feet of stalk and leaves. I ground some of the seeds, but it was such a small plot I didn't have a lot to grind. Only got about a half cup of flour. Mixed with another half cup whole wheat, it made some very tasty mini-doughnuts though.

I still have some of the seeds, so I'm planning on trying a larger plot this year, for the plant material and grain both.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

@Tave thanks for the additional information. @MaryRowe sounds like it would be fun to grow.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe Where did you get your Teff seed? I want a safe seed source.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I'm not much help to you on that one--I got the seed from my neighbor. She'd been reading about the benefits of eating teff and wanted to try a little. She ended up ordering a #10 can of it, not realizing how big a #10 can was. Way more than she wanted. I don't remember where she ordered it or the company, but my guess is she probably just ordered from Amazon. Anyway, she gave some to me and to her sisters because she didn't want it all, and I tried planting most of mine.

I'll bet that any organic raw teff sold for food would also be good for planting though, I just did a quick google and it looks like if you want to buy seed for planting you have to buy in bulk, like 50 lb sacks or so. I just checked Baker Creek too--if anybody would carry normal-sized packets, surely they would. No teff, alas, but check out this amazing pink buckwheat! Ooooh, I feel my seed addiction kicking in,,,,,,,,,,😍

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe oh that is stunning. I jkust love color in the garden areas