Healing Crystals experiment

MaryRowe
MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in General Health

Does anyone here incorporate crystals in their natural medicine kit?

Now before our skeptics scoff at New Age woo-woo, it's worth noting that most cultures have traditions going back to ancient times of using certain stones for healing and other purposes. The idea has only become unfashionable in Euro-American society in the last two hundred years or so. The New Agers are just building on a very old idea, and I've been wondering if there might be something to it after all.

So I've been experimenting the past couple months, in an effort to lift myself out of the winter doldrums and get more energy and motivation to be up and doing. I've got some beautiful pieces of carnelian, jasper and quartz (which ancient Greeks and Romans thought to be energy boosters) that I kept beside my chair and bed for a couple weeks--and did begin to notice feeling more energy and a better mood despite the miserable weather. Put the crystals away for a few days, and the space felt very empty without them. Tried living with some crystals that the New Agers claim are calming and good for sleep for a couple more weeks to see if that would have a different feel, and felt myself sliding down into the dumps again.

To see how much this might be a purely psychological effect, I gathered some pretty stones from my property, insisting to myself that since these came from the bit of land I love dearest in all this world, these stones would be just as strengthening as the carnelian, quartz and jasper. But they weren't......I didn't get much of anything from them.

So I got the carnelian, quartz and jasper back out, and my spirits and energy level are beginning to rise again. There's no doubt these crystals are lovely toys, both tactile and visual--beautiful colors, interesting shapes and textures, fun to hold in your hand, turning to watch the light play on them. That in itself will lighten the winter blues some. But there also seems to be more to it than that. The crystals do seem to have a subtle energy about them, different from one type to another. I don't think I'm just imagining that, but I'm too much a skeptic myself to be entirely certain.

So I was wondering if we do have any among use who do use crystals regularly in this way and could shed some light on the matter........

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
    edited January 2022

MOD HAT ON:

After consideration of this particular topic, it has been decided that this discussion will be open to practical experiment, looking at it strictly from the perspective of medicinal practices. This will be the boundary of this discussion.

In order to give an unbiased outcome/conclusion, this will require separation from any religious connection or belief, to see if the use of crystals can be shown in practical, and possibly measurable, ways to be useful. (The kind of thing we amateurs will have to do, because the scientists won't risk their academic reputations to do it.)

If it goes off track, with any New Age or religiously related types of comments, then the discussion will be closed as per per forum rules.

Thank you everyone.

MOD HAT OFF.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Bumping because this discussion was previously closed for consideration.

Before posting, please read the premise of the experiment and the boundaries in my mod post above. Thanks!

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

I’ll add my two cents. We all have gifts and our minds will respond to different levels of understanding or what we have learned. Crystals or stones are of the earth just as herbs are. They all have different vibes or energy. I personally reacted positive and negative to crystals. I’m also an aromatherapist and hope to explore charging my oils with crystals. I will not put crystals into my water nor my products. There is no way I can guarantee safe mining or cleaning of the stone. I have many books on stones and have scoured the internet. I’ve done many personal interviews about stones. There two sides to every stone and many stories

Carnelian is great to use when doing a early morning yoga session. Quartz is an amplifier of energy. Try amethyst or rose quartz for next to bed, soothing calming. One of the fun stones is black tourmaline very grounding and is great near the computer.

Also the Native Americans used stones in many of their healing and daily life. As an iridologist I have studied Native American iridology. Each part or pattern of the pupil has A body system, a animal, stone assigned to it. We need to embrace a life with less hectic, less electronic and go back a few steps and step outside. Go dig in the earth what treasures can you find?

@LaurieLovesLearning thanks for opening this up. One of my passions!! There’s so much to learn and share.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2022

MOD HAT ON:

I have to caution against vibes, energy, and yoga... all religious practices, very much New Age, and that is where this discussion was not supposed to go as per my post above and by @MaryRowe's request. She is looking at the proof of the actual PHYSICAL side of them and very measurable, and scientific-type of evidence in this case, not anecdotal.

I don't wish to close or delete this thread. Please keep it within the boundaries.

Thank you.

MOD HAT OFF.

• MaryRowe

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for your guidance and reminder.

@kfoto Thanks for your interest. I am just beginning to work with crystals, and they are quickly becoming my passion too. But as you say, there are so many different levels of understanding, so many different perspectives--and so much information out there, often without any clear indication of just what that information is based on.

What I was hoping to do here is find rational, objective ways to test the alleged healing or medicinal qualities attributed to different crystals--ways for beginners like myself, who lack the years of experience working with them, could use to find out what really does work for us, without depending on books or the internet to tell us, since that information might or might not be reliable, or based on much more than the writer's imagination.

I like your comparison of crystals and herbs--both part of the natural world, both likely to have healing properties. People have certainly thought so for thousands of years. As to how or why crystals work, that discussion we probably need to take into PM's, because it is likely to get us into topics not appropriate for the general forum. But we could get a private list going here for any interested in discussing that aspect of the issue, and keep this one on the general forum for hard evidence of effects that different crystals can be shown to have on the body.

I'm thinking in terms of scientific evidence, if there is any out there, or science we can do ourselves, as I was trying to do in the experiment described in my original post for this discussion, and then a private list for any of us wishing to venture into the more speculative or spiritual side.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

This is such an interesting discussion. I can’t wait to hear more about it- my sister was just telling me about an incredible podcast- not religious, it’s a health podcast where a doctor interviews different people- and they describe how everything has a vibration and how that affects us. I’m wondering if particular rocks could have specific healing vibrations. (Literal vibrations!) Isn’t that part of the premise behind homeopathy? I thought homeopathy was very woo-woo until my daughter’s horrific psoriasis was reversed through nothing but water and electrical energy. I still don’t get it, but it worked! I won’t post the podcast until I listen to it myself to be sure it’s relevant.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella yes each crystal or stone have different structures and different energy frequencies . There many different books explaining this. If you think about it due to different materials and structure, sounds can be absorb or create a vibration. We then react to what we see, hear or feel.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I work a lot with crystals. But I'm not sure what I can and can not post about them here. One way to test their effect is to make crystal water. Have two glasses of plain pure water. Use one as a control. In the other put a crystal. Taste both and notice the difference between the two. You could even do a blind tasting to make it more of a "scientific" test. Many crystals can be used to make crystal water a few can't so best to google and make sure the one you're using is safe to use in this way.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2022

@torey Thanks. I think this is exactly what @MaryRowe was hoping for.

I had also wondered about what might get leached out if it's put into water. I know that for aquarium use, you have to be very careful about the type or rocks, gravel or decorations you put in as fish are very sensitive to even minute changes in water quality and any toxic substances that may be hidden.

• MaryRowe

@torey Yep I second Laurie on that! A double thanks, for both an excellent summary of where current science is on this topic, and a great model of how to discuss it productively within forum guidelines,

I know current science can't provide the whole answer--most of us in this group regularly use and benefit from forms of "alternative medicine" that science and the mainstream medical profession don't have much regard for. But science, and scientific method in particular, remain a useful starting point and check on a subject like healing crystals, where so many claims are made on such limited evidence. With more established fields like herbal medicine and homeopathy, there are at least solid professional organizations to provide some standards. But it looks like it's still pretty much "the wild west" with crystal healing.

So I am hoping to come up with some simple and safe experiments that would help a person decide whether a particular crystal will actually help that individual with a specific medical complaint. Every-body being different, what works for one might not work for another. And the success I've had so far with my own experiments might be nothing more than placebo effect. But then science is just beginning to recognize the power of the mind to heal the body, so even placebo effect might not be a bad thing.

I just got a new book, "Why Woo-Woo Works: The Surprising Science Behind Meditation, Reiki, Crystals, and Other Alternative Practices" by David R. Hamilton, PhD, which looks like it will address that issue. Haven't started reading it yet, but it has good reviews on Amazon, including a few legitimate-sounding medical professionals, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

• MaryRowe

@annbeck62 Given that you have to be very careful about which crystals you use for crystal water, and be very sure that your crystal will not leach toxins, I still think that would be an interesting line to pursue. I know there are ancient traditions (Greek, Roman and others) about drinking from cups of clear quartz or amethyst to neutralize the effects of any poison in the drink, so the idea of benefits from the combination of crystals and drinking water or other liquids has been around a very long time.

Also, since you work with crystals, I think it would be helpful to know which crystals you have personally had success in using for specific health issues and how you use them. One person's story may be just an anecdote, but if we can gather multiple stories along the same lines, that starts to become hard evidence. It's also a starting point for constructing experiments. I'm trying to find more reliable alternatives to all the stuff that shows up on the internet without any evidence to back it up. And a person's actual experience with something is a clear starting point for that.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I personally think that crystals are cool and very neat to look at. Scientifically crystals, such as quartz, can be used to store information (this can last for billions of years).

https://money.cnn.com/2016/02/17/technology/5d-data-storage-memory-crystals/index.html

• William Pitre
    William Pitre Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

My first crystal teacher told us about how she was instructed to get in touch with an orange grove owner in Florida and they were supposed to use 5 crystals . 2 milky white , 2 clear, and one in the center in a grid for every 20 acres that was on the orange grove. The farmers in the area thought they were nuts. But when the big freeze hit. Everything that was 5 feet beyond the property was dead and everything that was in the orange grove was green and alive. The farmers did not think they were so crazy after that episode.

I am an Quantum touch energy healer and use crystals in healing. Quartz crystals are amplifiers, So always think good thoughts when around them.

• annbeck62

@MaryRowe I find crystals to be similar to adaptogenic herbs as they can help bring you back in balance and keep you in balance but may not be the best choice for specific conditions that have already physically manifested. Although some people who are more sensitive do find lots of benefit. Also you can be in a store looking at five amethyst crystals but if you hold each one they will feel different as energetically they are each unique and you want to pick the one that feels best to you. And at first you may not feel anything if you hold them. Kind of like a person new to drinking wine (or tea or coffee or beer) doesn't notice a lot of tasting notes while someone else can pick up many subtle flavors. Working with crystals is part science, part art and part intuition. You can use kinesiology to test which crystal will be beneficial for you. I'm not sure if kinesiology is considered scientific but I can say a lot of holistic practitioners use it. I use crystals with great results in many different ways but I think a lot of them don't pass the "this has been scientifically proven yardstick" that this thread seems to be looking for.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thank you, @annbeck62. We need to keep this discussion on track with its original intention.

That makes me wonder, @MaryRowe, did you get your question answered yet? Is there anything else you may specifically be looking for?

• MaryRowe

@LaurieLovesLearning I was still hoping for ideas for and experiences with simple experiments folks could try themselves to test the effectiveness of a given crystal for a specific complaint, but I expect it might be hard to talk about that without going into energy work and related topics beyond the parameters of this discussion.

So I started a PM list last night (At least I think I did....this is the first time I tried to do that🤔) I sent a PM with several of the folks on this thread listed in the "recipients" box--that's all there is to it, right? That creates a private thread visible to the people listed on it, and if their preferences are set for it, posts to that thread should show up in their email, right? Otherwise they can click on that envelope icon at the top of the page next to their account icon, to see the PM thread. (I'm really slow with this stuff--it took me a year or more to figure this much out and I'm still not 100% that I have it right....)

Anyway, assuming I did manage to set up a PM thread, I propose moving this discussion over to that one. If anyone I did not send the PM to last night is interested in joining it, let me know. I propose leaving this thread open, maybe till Friday or so, to keep it on the first couple pages of the discussion forum a few days longer, so that anyone else interested in the topic might notice it and ask to join the PM list. Then it's OK by me to close this thread down, and end our problems with keeping it on track and within the boundaries......🙂

So here's my last call, for anyone interested in this topic: if you know of science-based information related to healing physical ailments with crystals, please post here now!

If you are interested in continuing this discussion on the PM list, please let me know so I can add you to it,

Thanks! And thanks, Laurie, for giving this topic a try here!

• annbeck62

@MaryRowe I'm happy to join the pm if that was your intention. Either I didn't get it or I don't know how to find it.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@MaryRowe You put whomever you want to add into the "Add People To This Conversation" box. You don't have to "@" anyone. They should just automatically be added.

For those who want to join, I think we will give this until Friday. If there is a noticeable slowing of interested parties, I will close it sooner.

Please check your notification preferences in your profile to see if you have it set to in forum notifications, email notifications, or both.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@MaryRowe I haven't received a PM either. I will PM you and see if we can get it going that way.

• MaryRowe

@annbeck62 I did include you on the list last night, so you should be able to see it. I got a reply from one other person, so it must have worked, (at least partly!)

If you click on your account icon, at the top of this page, you can check your preferences. At the very bottom of the list is the "notify me of private messages" or "PMs" or something like that, and you can check to see if that is on. You can have them come to you email and/or as a pop-up here.

If you click on that envelope icon next to your account icon, you should be able to see the PM too.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I should have received the PM as I have that box checked and I get regular PMs from others.

• MaryRowe

@torey I missed adding you last night! Sorry 😔 But I just did now, using that neat little box at the bottom of the page that you found. (I hadn't noticed that one!) So now you should be able to see it too. I hope.....

• William Pitre
    William Pitre Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I do use crystals in healing and have a have about 10 cases of stones of all shapes and sizes. But don’t worry I won’t be talking on this site

• MaryRowe

@William Pitre Welcome to the forum! And I hope this hasn't offended you; please don't take it personally. Your first post on this thread was really interesting, and I hope you will join us on the PM thread so we can discuss it further.

It's just that TGN is a very diverse community, people here have many different perspectives and belief systems. It's easy to get upset without even realizing it, and respond before you think, when you feel that your values or beliefs are being challenged, So we have rules to prevent those types of misunderstandings and conflicts, Our moderators enforce those rules, sometimes pretty firmly--but always fairly, and we always have the option of taking the discussion to a private thread to continue it, as I did here. I know it can sometimes feel restrictive, but it keeps this forum a free and friendly place for folks to talk about the vast range of topics having to do with self-reliance and making your own food and medicine.

So come on over to the PM thread--I included you in my PM last night, I hope you saw it! In fact, your post was the motivation that finely got me to figure out how to do a PM thread--I was hoping to discuss it with you further. So give us another chance--TGN really is a great place to share and learn.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@MaryRowe So you have the PM thing figured out?

I am glad you learned something new. With any changes that are made on the forum, I'm usually quite apprehensive and really wonder if I'll mess something up if I need to try something new. I'm just not all that techy, but it's good to expand my skills. I know I feel a great sense of accomplishment (and certainly relief) if it goes well.

I can safely say that my strengths certainly lay elsewhere. 😄

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love rocks and crystals. I hold them to admire them and keep some on display. I know science uses crystals for several purposes. If I benefit in any way from having them around, I consider that a plus.

• MaryRowe

@LaurieLovesLearning I think I have the PM thread going--at least I managed to get Torey added, and she posted and I saw it, so it seems to be working.....Now if the others have been able to figure out how to check the right boxes in their preferences and find the envelope icon and all, we're in business!

Yeah, I'm about as non-techy as they come. It's so frustrating--something like this seems so hopelessly baffling till I do figure it out, but once I do, it seems so simple that I don't know why it took me so long.

• MaryRowe

@shllnzl I'm with you--crystals are so beautiful that just having them around lifts my mood. And anything that helps with physical/mental/emotional health is worth using. Would you like to join the crystal discussion on the PM thread?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe Sure, I can join the discussion. Do you need me to initiate anything?

This discussion has been closed.