Handicapped gardening

I have been gardening for over 50 years. Three yrs. ago, broke my hip, falling on concrete. After I got home, doc said I am to use a rollator forever, because of my dizzy spells. That is a side affect of my epilepsy meds. I have a rollator inside the house, one in the car we use for going shopping, and one under the covered patio that is for yardwork. I seem to find these at thrift stores, except the house one was sent to me about 5 yrs. ago from a pen pal 6 states away, years before I needed it. A cane is not stable enough. The rollator in the garden gets hung up on rocks, etc. At times it is a chore, but maybe more exercise, as I have to push hard to get it going. Hubby has made a lot of raised beds, which helps. Picking berries gives me something to hang on to for stability. I did a lot of weeding & plant dividing working on my knees. Last fall, as I got to stand up, oh no, broke my ankle. I pronate as I walk, and I guess I pronated my ankle too far. Therapist wanted me to get up and down for exercise, and now that is over. Any ideas from any other gardener's with a disability will be appreciated.

Comments

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@bookworm Maybe try herb spiral garden beds that can be taller so that you may not need to bend down. I learned about these in a Permaculture Design course. Sorry to hear about your ankle, how is it healing or has it healed?

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SuperC a spiral garden bed might work for some but for me I want something thin to build up the walls so I can have a raised bed. My garden bed only measures 11 inches wide but is 12 feet long.

• bookworm
    bookworm Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

My ankle is almost healed. At the clinic, they took an xray, that is all. No cast or boot, just go home, rest it, elevate it, and take something for pain. I usually break ribs almost yearly, and foot bones, and after a few trips to the clinic, and they do nothing for those types of breaks, I have not bothered to go to a clinic until the ankle break. I am still able to bend over and the raised beds are fine. It is just the wheels getting stuck on the rocks. Yrs. ago, there must have been a big earthquake, as pumice stones keep perking up. We are about 75 mi. away from Mt. Rainier. Gardening is good for the mind. I also have a nice greenhouse full of succulents, and some things like Basket plant, and others.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raised beds built to the height of a chair are great for those who do not want to bend over a lot or have balance issues. Great for children, exercise and anyone who would benefit from a garden bed that is higher than the soil line. I do most of my gardens in raised beds now just because its easier on the back and this year I want my mom to do more gardening for exercise and to keep her mentally sharp.

Here's one link: https://www.housesumo.com/raised-garden-beds-for-disabled/

And here's another link. Beds set up to be easier on the body are good for all ages and health https://slickgarden.com/raised-garden-bed-plans-for-seniors/

I think one of the sites have how to set up ther area around a bed for people with balance issue, walkers, canes and wheelchairs. My mother would definitely need a wider smoother path. She is pretty much using a walker all the time now. Her balance is not as good as I would like for her using a cane.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your ankle and the balance issues.

We are also working on raised beds for our new garden area. We are both getting older and having more issues with our backs, knees, etc. The raised beds will be the only way we can continue to garden in the future and for the long term.