Making Mead

I started some mead back in autumn using some of my bees honey as a trial.

First of all I rehydrate the brewing yeast in some water and apple juice with some sugar added.

Once the starter was going strong the other day I used aroung 3 kg of raw honey added 1L of apple juice and round about 9L of water to it. Once the temperature was right I added the starter and let it do the magic.

The mixture started bubbling in the evening and remained doing fine for probably a month.

This is how it looked like after the fermentation stopped.

I than drew the mead into another vessel and added some more honey as it tasted really dry and strong

So now the most difficult part is to have the strength to wait and not taste it every now and than.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Jens the Beekeeper How long are you going to let it age? Are you going to add a bit more yeast and bottle it, so as to get a bubbly beverage more like cider, or will it be a wine type beverage?

I have had both products (not homemade) and I prefer the bubbly version. I was surprised how dry the wine was that I tasted.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered about the process of making mead. Thank you for sharing @Jens the Beekeeper.

I'm anxious to hear about how it turns out for you.😊

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh how lovely! I've enjoyed a good commercial mead. Too chicken to try to make it myself.

• @torey I am afraid that I will not be able to let it age long enough. 😂

The plan is to have it age at least 3 month prior to taste test again and then as long as possible.

I will only try the wine one and not add yeast prior to bottling it. That is once I am confident to produce good mead every time I brew. Than I am definitely up for trying to get honey champagne.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@Jens the Beekeeper thank you very much for sharing. This is what I want to start making and I will start with a small quantity.

i have a few questions: what container do you use to for brewing. Would plastic do? Or must it be glass? Do you keep it covered with a cloth during that period?

When you mix all ingredients, you say “once the temperature was right I added the starter.” What temperature is right?

when you keep it bubbling for a month, is it open, or do you cover it and install some pipe for getting the gas out?

during the last stage when you bottle it, it is already sealed, isn’t it? Do you keep cool or room temperature?

Sorry for asking for all these details, which might be so clear to you. I have never prepared mead so I am grateful for as many details as possible.

• @jowitt.europe no problem at all. These questions is why I posted the topic 😎

OK for a brewing vessel. Glas is great as it is not plastic but to be honest I have bought two plastic container as they are lighter than the glass. I have a 20l Glas balloon from my grandpa.

That's a kit I ordered and especially for you and all other from Europe here is the link to the kit

There is a special lid with a fermentation lock to prevent any air from entering and letting the produced carbon dioxide escape.

As starting temperature 37°C is a good starting point. Once the fermentation is started I kept in the cellar which is quite cool I would say around 18C.

When it is finished you should bottle one bottle, seal it and store it in a bowl in a warm place. If the bottle does not explode in a week you can bottle the rest.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

What a fun project. I haven't tried mead yet. I have been making wine and the hardest part is not getting impatient while it ages...

• jowitt.europe

@Jens the Beekeeper thank you very much for the answer! And for the link! There are so many ingredients included in the start up. From your description of the process, I understand that you use only yeast. I also prefer replacing them with natural product such as apple juice.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    edited February 2022

@jowitt.europe actually I used the yeast and the yeast nutrient to be on the safe side.

You can use wild yeast as in adding apple juice but as honey is notoriously slow to ferment it is better to use a brewing strain of yeast. I have seen a video on YouTube about using only honey with pollen to make meat. If I find it I will post it on here.

Found the video

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Jens the Beekeeper woowza. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes down the road.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your recipe :). I love mead and I think it would be so cool to make my own unique blend!

• @karenjanicki yes I am tempted to fumble around with some herbs and spices or fruits. You can do so many things.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Jens the Beekeeper I have never gotten "brave" enough to try this, but your post is helping me get there! Thanks for sharing!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

This is a video on how to make Viking Mead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAB-VVqjOE

• jowitt.europe

@Jens the Beekeeper Thank you for the video. I watched the whole of it and I like the concept of this way of producing. However, as I have never tried making mead before, I might go the easier way with readily included materials in the starter set. It, also, seems to be a quicker way to produce it.

• jowitt.europe

@Cornelius ai watched the video. Thank you! I liked the way it is made and it is a fast process.And I liked the video! Now I have three recipes. Well. Difficult choice!