Harbringers of Spring
I have no faith at all in any of the gopher's, groundhog's or even the rare Vancouver Island Marmot's predictions of spring.
Ian Tyson sings of the signs of spring in northern Alberta in his song "Springtime". The first few lines set the tone.
"Bald eagles back in the cottonwood tree
The old brown hills are just about bare
Springtime sighing all along the creek
Magpies ganging up everywhere
Sun shines warm on the eastern slope" (eastern slopes of the northern Rockies)
Here is a link if anyone would like to listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42lZeUG1mo
Despite the fact that we have has a very warm spell for the past week or so and rain, we still have 3 feet of snow. BUT! For us, spring is right around the corner. I saw my first magpie of the year today!!!
Sorry, Laurie. I saw pics of what southern Manitoba looks like.
What are sure signs of spring for everyone else?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter