Vegetables that grow in shade

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I have some rather shady areas and will plant some of the vegetables suggested and see what happens.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing this, @Monek Marie.

This will come in handy as I'm trying to figure out the layout of all plants for my garden. ☺️

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monek Marie Thank you for this. I am clearing a space this year for our more permanent garden. This will definitely help in deciding where I will be planting different plants and types of plants.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I was thinking of starting another bed this year but don't have any sunny spots left. We have too many trees.

I also read an article on there about pruning basil off the top to grow a huge bush. I've always done that. I had no idea that's what makes the plants grow so big and bushy!

• Monek Marie

Yes, pinching basil makes such a huge difference. Besides being a great herb they are such a pretty plant. I plant them with my flowers and use them in bouquets.

• Monek Marie

Glad this is helpful. I have a few other charts to post later that will help with gardening.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the recommended "shade" vegetables are easier to grow than others. And even if you grow them successfuly, expect lower yields than you would have in full sun.

Broccoli is a fussy vegetable that wants excellent soil. I haven't had much luck with it.

Cabbages are easy to grow, especially in cool climates, but the ones that are most hardy grow very large. You will need a significant amoun of space for them, which you may not have. The small cabbage varieties are small because they've been deliberately bred to be weaker, which makes them more fussy and harder to grow.

Carrots are a good choice. I routinely grow them under my tomato plants, and harvest them long after the tomatoes have been pulled.

Celery needs very deep soil to grow properly. If you only have 6 inches or so of topsoil with rock or hard subsoil under it, you probably won't have much luck. If you have sand under a foot of good topsoil, celery may be a good choice.

Garlic and green onions are easy. Small multiplier onions can also work well.

I'm not sure about peas in deep shade. The plants will likely grow, but you may not get many peas. In partial sun, they will be fine.

I live on the side of a large hill, with large trees all around. There is nowhere in my yard that truly has full sun. But with careful selection of sunny spots, I've had excellent success with lettuce, spinach, green onions/scallions, garlic, multiplier onions, peas, beans, potatoes, and carrots. Tomatoes will also grow, though my yields are nothing to brag about.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

VermontCathy Thank you for the information. I have lots of sunny areas, and this is Alaska.... Land of the Midnight Sun. During the summer we get so much sun most folks have to have block out curtains in at least their bedrooms so they can sleep. lol Of course we pay for all that sunshine come winter when (in our area) we can get down to only a few hours of daylight a day.

I have had issues in the past with broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce bolting from too much sun and heat. Other times I have had huge beautiful heads developing and a moose sneaks in and sampled every head of broccoli and cauliflower. Left me half the head on each one. lol You need a VERY tall fence to keep those buggers out. Have seen them jump a six foot fence from a standstill right beside the fence.

Hoping to expand my berries this year as well. Making a fence of sort around the property with some of the larger things like my haskaps, Was gifted 3 black elderberry by a very sweet friend who dug some of hers up and mailed them to me from the lower 48. Hoping they survived under the straw mulch and snow. If I can keep them growing here I will propagate a bunch more from them. Planning to transplant some highbush cranberry from the back of our property to a more accessible area, and another friend has tons of wild blueberries he says I can come grab as many plants as I want to dug up. Also have a couple black currant bushes, some red raspberries which are doing very well and a couple golden raspberries.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym You are in a terrific area for vegetables that need many hours of sun, but can use that sun to grow quickly in a short growing season. I would bet you could produce a lot of lettuce, spinach, walking onions, long-day onions, and cabbage, if you can keep the moose out!

Some fruits might do well there too. I think that blackberries and raspberries might be very productive where you live. Our local ones easily survive our winters down to -10F or so. I don't know what the lower limit of their temperature tolerance might be. The same goes for walking onions, which grow wild here.

So far I haven't had a moose get into the garden. They're definitely around, and it's not unusual to see their scat when walking in the woods. A few years ago a yearling walked into the state capital downtown, and a photo made it into the local paper. But that's unusual. Most of the time our pest problems are deer, slugs, snails, and various insects.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭

Walking onions sound interesting.