My 2022 Gardening Plans

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Garden Design

Judson got me thinking about my 2022 Gardening Plans - some of my seedlings survived the critters and windstorm last year and are doing well. Today I started both some new seeds and some seeds I tried last Fall (that for whatever reason did not make it). I am really excited to see how the Belaris Broccoli does, right now it is about 4" tall.

New seeds I started today: Bok Choy Hedou Tiny, Rouge D’Hiver Lettuce, Chijimisai, Russian Red Kale and 50-Day Choy Sum. 

Trying again: Vibrant Ultra Violet Mustard, Yellow Heart Winter Choy. Japanese Giant Red Mustard, Lacinato Kale, Purple Kohlrabi Purple Peacock Broccoli. 

Also, I have made progress on securing my raised-beds and also got one of the Green-Stalk 5-tiered planter. I plan to start working on this once I figure out a way to secure it or figure a way to get it in and out of the house easily. I may try keeping it in my garage at night and putting outside in the morning.

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

Those varieties all sound so good! I’m trying a few of those as well. I’ve never heard of Vibrant Ultra Violet Mustard. I’ll have to look up a picture because it sounds gorgeous.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

Looked it up. Shoot. Now I want to buy more seeds!

• Lisa K

@Megan Venturella that is how I ended up so many new seeds and it is thanks to @Monek Marie and Baker's Creek catalog! 😄

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,457 admin

oooh, purple greens.... my favorite!

• Lisa K

@Monek Marie yes you are, but when it comes to seeds that is a good thing! 😃

@judsoncarroll4 I am hoping to find out, but my Purple Bok Choy was eaten so I am going to try again.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,457 admin

That looks so good, I'd have a hard time not eating it now!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Its my first year for growing purple carrots! Can't wait to see them grow.

@Lisa K Those plants look so nice an healthy!!

• Lisa K

@Monek Marie apparently the creatures that eat them thought so too 🤨

• Lisa K

Continuing with my 2022 Plan I started the following seeds the other day -

New seeds I started a couple of days ago: Viola, Mizuna Beni Houshi, Dock Red Sorrel and Mitsuba Japanese Parsley. 

Trying again: Quinoa, Mustard, Chinese Kale, Bloomsdale Spinach, Edible Red Leaf Amaranth, Spinach, Chinese Cabbage, Casper Kale, Green Cabbage, Early Bird Purple Broccoli Dazzling Blue Kale, Red Sails Lettuce and Little Caesar Lettuce.  

• Lisa K

More of my 2022 Gardening Plans 

New seeds I started a couple of days ago: Viola, Mizuna Beni Houshi, Dock Red Sorrel and Mitsuba Japanese Parsley. 

Re-planting: Quinoa, Mustard, Chinese Kale, Bloomsdale Spinach, Edible Red Leaf Amaranth, Spinach, Chinese Cabbage, Casper Kale, Green Cabbage, Early Bird Purple Broccoli Dazzling Blue Kale, Red Sails Lettuce and Little Caesar Lettuce. 

I also bought a sprayer, the type you use for pesticides or weed killer, but I am going to use it to water seedlings because the one I got has a “mist” feature. 

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Going to get my onions going asap.

• Lisa K
  • COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

You're welcome! 😀

• Lisa K

Well, I put together my 5-Tier planter but I do not think I put in enough soil and the bees are looking to make new home, so I took it apart this morning so I can add more soil and some coffee grounds (added bonus) then put it back together.

Eventually I will make this tower my herb garden with mostly my medicinal herbs.

Also, my Purple Bok Choy is beginning to sprout!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing sales from a number of seed providers, so it's not too late to go out and order seeds for your 2022 garden!

I don't want to experiment too much this year, because with inflation and shortages I think we will be more dependent on our garden this year than we have been in the past.

I am expanding the amount of potatoes grown, and I will be trying to bag method to see if I can increase the harvest. I'll also try to grow some potatoes in my regular soil instead of raised beds with improved soil. Even if it's less productive, I'll still end up with more potatoes. I sure would like to grow a year's worth of potatoes each year, instead of running out in late winter!

With the shortages of spices we are seeing, it's also time to put in an herb garden. Some of this will be an experiment (basil, oregano) because I have not grown these successfully in the past, while others (mint, parsley, dill) do very well here.

After experimenting with a variety of beans the last couple of years, this year I am focusing on a few types that we really like and were very productive. Fortex, Emerite, and Jacob's Cattle will be our bean suppliers.

We'll try to grow a few tomatoes, but most years we have limited success.

This time of year is already tough. We've used up most of the garden food from last year, and won't get much new growth for months yet.

However, we rebuilt the rotting cold frames last fall, so they are in top condition and already have claytonia growing from last fall. As soon as the snow melts, this will take off growing rapidly, and we'll have fresh greens in early spring when most local gardener's haven't even planted their seeds yet.

• Lisa K

As I was adding soil and putting the 5-tier planters back together, I planted

New: Tong Ho (Chrisamtheum coronarium), Elecampane, Epazote, Thyme (Orangelo), Garlic chives, Sweet Thai Basil and Tulsi Basil.

Trying again: Stevia, garlic chives, and Chamomile. 

• Lisa K

So far the following seeds appear to be coming up - Mizuna Beni Houshi, Early Bird Purple Broccoli Dazzling Blue Kale, Red Sails Lettuce and Little Caesar Lettuce (these are in seed trays.

Also, while I was putting the 5-tier back together I added two small parsley plants.

• Lisa K

I managed to keep some of my vegetables safe and below is a picture of my Blue Kale, Purple Mustard and Basil, what is not shown is my Chives which has come back up. 

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arghhhh, I'm so jealous. We have about 5 foot of snow still. It's melting but will still be a couple months before we see ground anywhere near where I'm planning on building my permanent garden area. House is too small and no room for starts. So I have to wait. But we are planning a stop by our favorite nursery today while out running errands.

• Lisa K

@vickeym that is one benefit of living in So. Calif we can grow almost all year long.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,515 admin

We still have snow on the ground, but are seeing some songbirds coming back in migration, and ravens & some geese.

I finally went ahead and planned two large gardens. The one still has snow on it...well, they both do. One, I hope will drain in time for planting because it's a low spot, and the other is a notoriously weedy patch that I feel we need to try to plant in again.

This week I need to figure out what needs to be started indoors and then try to figure out when that might take place this year.

• Lisa K

I transplanted some of my seedlings and in order to protect them I am trying to grow them in the kitchen.

Also, I am starting to get some Strawberries – 

• Lisa K

This year I took some of my Air Plant that is outside and brought some of the babies in the house and one of them in the dining room is flowering.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I started tomatoes, peppers, and lettuces indoors. Mortgage Lifter is not doing well, but Roma, Cherokee Purple, and Big Beef Plus F1 are all doing well. Peppers are not doing well. Lettuces (Red Velvet, Black Seeded Simpson, Bronze Arrowhead, and Tropicana) were all doing pretty well, but I hit them too hard with the water, and right now they don't look so good. Hoping they will rebound. Mortgage Lifter and Big Beef are new varieties for me this year. I plan to transplant them this week.

• VermontCathy

@MissPatricia Peppers are hard. I tried starting three types of hot peppers last year, but none worked. I ended up buying one cayenne transplant locally, but I planted it too close to other crops that competed with it. I think I got one pepper fruit all last year.

This year I am having more success with medium and hot peppers. They are growing slowly indoors under lights and I will give them their own outdoor space with nothing else too close.

We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground at the moment, which is delaying planting of herbs and more peas.

• Lisa K

@MissPatricia I am jealous, tomatoes do not do well in my zone 9-10 and I agree with @VermontCathy, peppers are hard to grow. One year I had a great bounty of Serrano peppers but not with any others.

• VermontCathy

@Lisa K Tomatoes are native to Mexico, and should do very well in zones 9 - 10. Many of the commercial tomatoes sold in US grocery stores were grown in Florida.

If tomatoes are not doing well for you, you have a problem that is not due to your zone. Maybe poor soil fertility, not enough hours of daylight, pests, etc. but it's not the climate.

• Lisa K

@VermontCathy I am closer to Zone 9 then 10 and we tend to get cool gray mornings along the coast, my friend who is just a mile or two inland has great tomatoes.