Herbs for peace of mind and harmony. Lavender.

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
edited March 2022 in Mental Health

Herbs for peace of mind and harmony. Lavender

Nothing new. Lavender is deeply rooted not only in folk medicine. Lavender fields spread not only in France but in quite cool countries like Tyrolean Alps. In my garden they already  overshadow roses. I planted them keep company to roses and to protect them from all kinds of insects. Now I have to trim lavender to make room for my roses. But, when I trim them, I keep everything: flowers for tea, sleeping bags, fragrant tinctures; leaves also for teas, sleeping bags. Their scent is softer than from the flowers. And I use stems in a bee smoker. 

When anxious, one can make a lavender tea: pour hot water over a 1 teaspoon of dried lavender in a cup, hold for 10 minutes, strain and drink several times a day.

Those who love baths may enjoy a lavender bath: pour 20g or 50g of flowers in 2 liters of water, bring to a boil, set aside, leave covered for 10 minutes, strain and pour into the bath.

I found a recipe for lavender wine: 20 g of dried lavender flowers per 1 liter white wine (you can, of course, use water) add a little honey. Boil for 3 minutes, leave to simmer for 10 minutes, strain and bottle. Drink a small glass 3 times a day.

One can also make a lavender pillow: fill a linen or cotton bag with lavender flowers and leaves, tie or sew it and place it on the pillow near your head or anywhere on the body if the smell is too strong. The warmth of body intensifies the scent.

One more recipe from google: 

1. Open your bottle of Pinot Grigio.
  2. Either add the herbs directly into the opened wine bottle or pour your wine into a separate wine decanter.
  3. Seal tightly.
  4. Let sit for at least 2-3 days in a cool or refrigerated place.
  5. Strain the rose petals and lavender.
  6. Serve in a glass.

Comments

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@jowitt.europe I LOVE lavender! Thanks for all of your suggestions!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I just read in the forums apparently milky oats is also good for peace of mind😊

• jowitt.europe

@nicksamanda11 oh yes! That is very true!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@jowitt.europe While lavender is very calming for most people, there are a few (like me) who are nauseated by the scent. My daughters have a similar reaction. BUT. It was my mother's favourite. She really liked Yardley's lavender products and you could see her visible relax when she sniff lavender EO. I bought her some lavender jelly once and she savoured every little bit. I tasted it but just couldn't get over the scent.

• jowitt.europe

@torey yes! I know it and I agree. Lavender is one of the plants which you either love or hate. I like the natural scent of lavender, but I cannot stand those artificial scents. If the bed linen is washed and rinsed with lavender scent, I cannot sleep in it. I got very sensitive to all the artificial scents since I stopped using any bought washing or cleaning liquid at home. But natural lavender in small quantities or mixed with other herbs does me good!

• Deb113
    Deb113 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Lavender is very much a part of my life. Definitely calming after a crazy day at work. Thanks for other ideas!