Forest Farming

I came acrossed a book I've not seen before while at the library the other day.

It really caught my eye and attention considering that a good portion of my land is forested. In fact our property hasn't had anything done much with it the last 15 years aside been being overwhelmed by kudzu vines, some of them as wide around as a tree trunk.

Is anyone else familiar with Forest farming and possibly know of any other good resources like the book I have pictured here?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin

That is a VERY good book! How To Make A Forest Garden is also a good one... lots of good ideas and strategies. The second is more about planting it or starting from scratch

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, @judsoncarroll4! I'll into finding that one at the library too.

We basically are starting from scratch in a way. We're getting rid of all the vines and things that have taken over then leaving the ground cover and trees of course.😊

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My sister has a heavily wooded property. I have been trying to convince her that she can have a garden too. I will need to get these books for her.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be looking into these myself. Much of our property is still wooded and would be preferable and much easier to work in, rather than clearing. It would also be easier to keep out of sight should things get bad.

• elwell2
    elwell2 Posts: 13

I will have to find that book. I also have a large part of my land within trees that is just being wasted. Thank you

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Forest gardening is amazingand it will surprise you how much you can harvest from woodland.

Another part of forest gardening is using the edges of a forest. They have more light for more crops. An edge around any woodland, brushy areas and what I call a transition area has so many uses. These area attract different insects and offer unlimited possibilities once you get used to how to use them.

They say 70% or your land should be forest and 30% open space. Most people are used to having most of their land wide open.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting! I'll bet the soil is also a lot better in forest. I have also seen it where people "pastured" pigs in the forest. I think they are good for clearing brush.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

When I first heard about forest farming, I thought everyone was nuts; stark raving mad! Then I realized that not everyone has the same definition of forest. Many places that are considered forest are actually second or third growth, in some places the forest has been logged several times. Or it is a forest that has regrown over abandoned, previously cleared and farmed land. A lot of what are considered "forested" areas are also naturally much more open than my area.

Here we have dense conifer forests where little sunlight ever reaches the ground. Most of what grows between the roots is moss with a few other plants that can live in the moss layer. In a lot of places, there is minimal fertile soil; sometimes less than a couple of inches over the hard mineral soil or outcroppings of bedrock. There are river valleys where the soil is deeper and better and some open meadows where the trees are not as dense but even there, it would be very difficult to have any domestic plants growing unless you cleared most of the area. I've tried planting near conifers and not much grows beneath them.

No forest farming for this girl. I'll just have to stick with harvesting the wild bounty that comes out of my forest.