I just discovered Black Garlic

So I’d heard of black garlic but never tasted it. Seems its been around for 1,000 of years, just not on my radar. OMG it’s absolutely delicious. My friend who grows organic Russian hardnecked garlic, bought a garlic cooker/roaster & cooked it on low heat for 12 days. She bought some with her on her last visit, so see what I thought. I’m now a big fan. Think gooey Brie & a nice sharp cheddar with black garlic on top. Since then I’ve used it as a butter on wonderful grass fed steak, braised cabbage, topped a spaghetti bolognaise, shaved over turmeric rice with lentils etc!!

I’m wondering if the medicinal properties of garlic are changed in any way by the cooking process, either enhanced or diminished. Does anyone know & has anyone processed black garlic before? What are your experiences?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, but I would love to try it!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have only heard about it once, but it does sound really tasty.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I agree black garlic is delicious. It has lots of health benefits. I've never tried making it but saved this article a while back in the "maybe I'll try this one day folder"....

https://www.askaprepper.com/how-to-make-black-garlic-for-boosting-your-immune-system/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=AAP

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard of it and that it is great for your health. Have never tried it, but sounds like something to try.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@annbeck62 thank you so much for that info, exactly what I was looking for.😁

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love black garlic, Trader Joe's has dried black garlic which I have been using on everything.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds wonderful. I went and looked through not only the link you shared but looked up several other sights and how they were doing it. Unfortunately, there was no information I found for making it if you live off grid. Not much chance of keeping a steady temperature for 2-6 weeks. LOL

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder Oh my, black garlic! Sounds wonderful and I will be on the lookout for some!

• AdrienneHew
    AdrienneHew Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Very popular in Asia. Brought some back from Japan and Vietnam. Havent been very creative with it though. Just like the Lardo I recently made.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@vickeym my thoughts exactly. I also live off grid & wondered, how the heck could I do that, for that long. Then I came up with the idea that if I bought a garlic roaster, supplied the garlic & asked a friend to plug into power for 12 days, then I would share the end result with them! At the moment, my friend who introduced me to BG, keeps supplying me, so I’m extremely lucky. I did help her harvest it, so it’s a win, win, all round.

@AdrienneHew what is Lardo?

@Lisa K have you tried it with mushrooms? Beautiful!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder I will now, yum!

• Heide
    Heide Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I made it a couple of years ago because it was so expensive and I was curious. It made wonderful gifts and everyone loved it. Be sure to do it in a basement or outside...the smell is intense. I did a descent post on it.

• babygrand53
    babygrand53 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Wow, I've never heard of black garlic! Looks very interesting. Would this be easy to find to try it? Can it be eaten raw?

• AdrienneHew
    AdrienneHew Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

I brought some back from Japan and saw it a lot in Vietnam but other than “it’s good for health” people didn’t really specify whatnot does. Lol. It is yummy and I’m always looking for more ideas on how to e corporate it. Yesterday at health food store they were selling off a huge bag of slightly older garlic. I bought it to plant some and am debating if I want to make black garlic, paste, oil or something else. Already roasted a few heads.

• George
    George Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I have been eating black garlic for about a year. As a garlic lover of raw or roasted, I was very curious and bought some at a health food store. Love at first bite. I described it as dark chocolate with hints of Raisin or ven prune I, of due course, experimented and ate it with a dark chocolate candy bar that had cinnamon and chipotle cayenne and cinnamon; a bar of Mexican chocolate. Then I hit the search engines and found that it is a fermented Garlic the fermentation is brought on by low heat not sure of the temperature and that one can make their own by getting a basic rice cooker and just turning the rice cooker on and do not turn the rice cooker up in temperature. The instructions stated to cook it for about 2 weeks. just cover and cook. I suppose this could be done by natural means say in Iceland where there are hot springs. or garlic wrapped and placed in a compost pile or, a hot car in the summer in Texas. Yeah in the black topper on top of one's car in Arkansas; either one, for a few weeks. I read it is a Middle eastern kind of cuisine and used as a condiment with honey to make barbeque-like sauces. Now, nutritionally, I read many of the medicinal compounds are increased and actually more bio-available and the sweet flavor comes from the inulin in the garlic changing to fructose during wth prolonged roast process. All Garlic and Onion /Shallot / Leek plants have some amount liver-flushing inulin a non-digestible starch. Mix this Black Gooooie Icky Garlic shizzzzzzzz, that gets on my fingers, with chocolate candy my good friends .... Peace, Love , Dove , g

• George
    George Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

finger is licking good Raw .

• Martin Novotny
    Martin Novotny Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Hi there, we are producers of (Czech) black garlic so I can answer your questions. The whole black garlic production process is a modification of Maillard reaction - similar to a meat grilling or bread baking - with modified temperature, humidity and time. In order to come with the highest levels of antioxidants (more on that below) you should keep the temperature around 65C (150F), humidity around 80-85% and time around 4 weeks. That is our recipe when we keep garlic in the "fermentation" chamber for a month and then we move it to the food-grade crates to "ripen" (14-16C, room humidity). During the process 95-97% of alliin is degraded (black garlic is absolutely OK for people with leaky gut or any other condition where fresh garlic cannot be eaten), starches are turned to simple sugars (that is why black garlic is sweet) and most importantly - some critical antioxidants are boosted. Most known is SAC (S-allyl-cysteine), SAMC (S-allyl-mercapto-cysteine) and fructosamine-arginine. Both, SAC and SAMC, are precursors of glutathione, the most potent endogenic antioxidant. Czech breeds of garlic, soil and climate in Czech Republic and proper technique of processing makes our black garlic unique - we have tested it against black garlic from Korea, Spain, Greece and USA and found that it has 10-300 times more SAC. You can see our range here https://eshop.cesky-cerny-cesnek.cz (website is in Czech language only...). Unfortunately, we cannot deliver overseas, but we are looking for exclusive distributors.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Martin Novotny Hello! Welcome to the GrowNetwork. You have already introduced your business. It is amazing. When you find time, introduce yourself. And have a look at the forum rules.

I had a look at your website. The garlic looks nice. I have been thinking of making some myself using a simple fermentation process which I use for fermenting raspberry leaves. I myself live in Austria. If I do not manage to ferment garlic myself, I know where to look for and order. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! Very useful!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@George welcome to the GrowNetwork. And thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with black garlic. You suggested so many options for preparation in different climates 😊. What is your climate zone?

When you find time, read the forum rules and introduce yourself.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of different varieties of garlic grown, but you'll rarely see more than 1 or 2 at your local grocery store, and what you do see was probably grown in California if you live and shop anywhere in North America.

You can find many more varieties online than you will ever find space to grow and harvest.

I've settled on two varieties of hardneck and one of softneck. Even three varieties really takes up more of my small garden area than I ought to allocate for garlic!

• Martin Novotny
    Martin Novotny Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Hi Jowitt, send me your address - I will send you 60g packaging to try it ;-) I do 10+ different ferments at home (8 of them liquid - kombucha, jun, GBP, rumi, etc.), but I did not even try to do black garlic - besides controlled temperature (I could use my Kuvings Fermentor for that) one needs to control humidity as well. Hint - my company buddy started first production of black garlic (before we have established company and brought 400kg machine from Korea) in broken fridge that he tweaked to heat/create humidity ;-) And yes - I will have to read the rules and introduce myself...

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

Another Welcome to TGN's Forum @george and @Martin Novotny.

• chuen00
    chuen00 Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

I buy black garlic Purée from Mercola market. I use it for cooking. It's delicious.

• farmboy
    farmboy Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

I must try it...not sure yet where it is available in Canada

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

@farmboy Welcome to TGN's forum.

Where are you in Canada? I'm in Central BC.

I've purchased black garlic. If I remember correctly it was at the Real Canadian Superstore (but I could be mistaken).