best place to buy chicken coop

Save the frogs
Save the frogs Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

I am looking on amazon right now. I see one that is fit for six chickens. Before I make any decisions though any suggestions? Building one is not an option because I can't do it and wont be able to find anyone to build one for me. Also if the description says it will fit 3-5 would shoving one more in there be a big deal? lol just curious and want to make sure they're comfy and not over crowded.

Answers

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

My understanding of bought chicken coops is that they usually claim to fit more birds than what they really will (like a tent does)...and they are very overpriced (although cute). They never bother to say either whether the number of birds is large fowl (large/standard) or bantam (small) sized birds. I would say 3-5 is most likely bantams. At the best, you *might* get 3 large (say, medium sized) birds, and *maybe* 5 bantams...if the weather stays nice & you don’t have to keep them in the top for long.

They will also give you square footage, taking the wired in "run" as part of it, neglecting to say that in winter, this will most likely leave the upper part too small for your birds. Also, they will not be insulated/insulated properly. Some have open wire bottoms in the upper part (presumably to let poop fall through, but poop is bigger than the holes), but that also leaves drafts and is not adequate for winter.

All claim to be predator proof, but all that I have seen aren't. I pick them apart when that claim is made and it is often very easy for me to see the flaw. A predator will find the flaw, so you really have to assess those claims with a critical eye...like, "I'm a ____, how do I get in to eat that tasty bird. 😍😋"

I've learned the hard way. We've had foxes, a mink, skunk, rats & twice now, weasels. Thank goodness we've had no bears to contend with. Weasels & mink are bad enough and are very difficult to deal with.

Here are 3 links for you. One has the recommended, "magic number" for chicken coops.

A magic "coop space calculator" is this next link (I can't vouch for it personally, I've never tried it out), but thought it could be fun.

And a very good article explaining the why's & how's of coop space. This is a must read.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Save the frogs If you approach the local high school wood working shop and pay all the material costs, they might like to take this on as a project.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Save the frogs my husband and I considered purchasing a coop kit before we decided it would be better to just build our own. I did a lot of research and found a lot of problems with them many of which have already been mentioned above. If you have no other option than to go that route I would recommend going through a feed store or maybe Tractor Supply Company. Many of those places will build them for you for an extra fee. The coops on Amazon seem much more affordable but I don't think you will be happy with them.