DIY Vegetable Oils or Substitutes
I have been thinking on this for quite some time. If you can no longer get the cooking oils that you are used to using, what would you use? I bet most of us can't grow olive trees, and I don't know if pressing oil seeds to make oil is actually practical, even if you can grow them.
I think I would try my best to use animal fats. This works well for herbal salves and soaps, but would take some work figuring out how to use in certain recipes. Some recipes, I may need to do without (like mayo) because I can't see that working with animal fats.
What would you do? Have you run across any DIY oil tutorials that you can share?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter