Here in Japan, dokudami is extremely common. I have learned more recently that some people outside of Japan do use it, such as in Vietnam. It is grown in some places as a vegetable, but around here, it is mostly seen as a weed.
However, pretty much any Japanese grocery store sells dokudami tea, which is supposed to have a cleansing effect on the body.
There are small numbers of recipes on the Japanese side of the internet with recipes for it. I eat it myself, since my garden is full of it.
It spreads extremely rapidly, and the root system is extensive, so you have to keep it under control unless that is all you want to grow!
In English, some people call it fish mint. Is this plant something that you all are familiar with?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter