Three days cold, four days warm
I have been asking tons of garden questions, and while I can`t contribute a lot of garden knowledge at present, I thought it would be fun to share a little bit about living in Japan.
In spring, weather alternates from warm to cool for quite a while. There is a Japanese four character expression to describe this. The phrase is 'sankanshion,' or 三寒四温 in Japanese.
I think it is fun how different cultures have a word or expression that is unique to that language. We could describe how spring weather fluctuates up and down, but there is not a specific phrase for it in English.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter