Indoor gardens

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
edited April 2022 in Garden Design

I thought this was an interesting concept. I was surprised that the sides were open, however, since they were considered terarriums.

I think a DIY could be simple to construct. A deeper one may be possible with an old fish tank or a more shallow custom made tank. I keep thinking that some turtle tanks are lower in height, but I'm not sure if those would be adequate.

I am thinking that if it is put in bright light (or if a suitable griw light can be placed inside), maybe some edible plants could be grown in something like this, saving space while being practical otherwise.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept. I wonder how my cats would get along with it. Eliza Jane is so darned curious and Pulls things out of drawers.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an old rabbit cage with a plastic bottom that could work for a deep dish table like this I imagine a drain could be added quite easily. Hmmmm

I bet a garden center section would also have a bottom like this. For fun an giggles I am going to look

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fascinating concept. It's got my mind going on all sorts of possibilities. 😊

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great idea. There are so many different ways someone could go with it. I love the idea of dyi with a fish tank.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I think maybe she'd have to squish in between the garden & top panel if she's curious, & hopefully not get stuck? That would actually look pretty interesting.

I think you'd need a closed one, or give her her own to pull things out of.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

Real interesting idea! I really like the types of plants inside. It could be a great conversation piece. Maybe an idea for growing winter greens.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are beautiful tables, although I would be inclined to use a narrow one as a plant table with pots on top.

A table like those shown could have catnip pulled to the outside for your cats' enjoyment. I grow catnip and wheatgrass for my cats. I make sure the plants are segregated from my other plants so my cats know which plants are theirs. Very toxic plants are kept high out of cat reach.

One day I bought a catnip plant from a nursery -- it must have been more potent than my indoor grown ones because when I went by it later, it looked like it had been tortured and half uprooted. The plant never survived and I had some guilt for the torment it went through.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I love this concept! It really put my mind in overdrive thinking of all the possibilities!

I have some old fish tanks that I was thinking about getting rid of.......hmmmm may try this in one! Thanks!!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Eliza Jane nipped off one of my tomato starts last night! Freeze warning for tomorrow night. If I don't get them out soon, she might eat them all! I've been covering the tray, but she's smart.