Celeriac

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who has grown celeriac before?

I see I should have started it earlier and that it takes 100 days. I can still start it and hope it does well. It may be low temps (fall nights) can make it bolt?

I was also wondering if I should stagger planting dates?

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

This may sound like a silly question but celeriac isn't the root ball for celery, right? It's a completely different thing, yes?🤔

Because I have grown celery with success in the past.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I grew celeriac last year for the first time. I didn't get big enough roots to do anything with once they were cleaned up and peeled. I only did one, the rest were smaller, so they were designated to the compost pile. I don't think my season is long enough.

I grow celery every year, from starts, and it does well.

Celery is Apium graveolens. Celeriac is Apium graveolens var. rapaceum. So celeriac is a sub-species of celery.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited April 2022

I am trying this year... I'll sow next week. I really love the flavor of celeriac but never got around to planting it before. Celery should be planted about a month before last frost. So, I'll be a few days late on that, too. But, I've got about 6 frost free months... 140-180 days or so. Heck, if it doesn't quite reach maturity, it will still be good!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the clarification @torey. ☺️

• Kuri and Kona
    Kuri and Kona Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Celeriac is one of those things that I have heard about for years but never actually eaten or even properly researched. Maybe I will try to grow some next year. I thought it would be fun to grow some totally new (to me) vegetables in my garden next year.

• Monek Marie

Celeriac is one of the new veggies I am growing. I thought it moght be nice to have a bulb I could store.

According to the packet I sohould have started in earlier so I will start some in a pot that can be moved and plant some in a cold frame based bed, just in case I need it later. From what I hear it will bolt it temps get cold at night. Our falls are warmer than they used to be so We will see what happens

• Monek Marie

Now I have to find ways to use it.

Celeriac is a versatile vegetable that a person can eat raw or cooked.

Raw celeriac is common in salads. It may be best known for its use in a French dish called celeri remoulade.

It is possible to bake, boil, fry, or steam celeriac. People can also mash celeriac and serve it as a side dish or chop it for inclusion in soups.

Try a few celeriac recipes below:

• smashed celeriac
    • celery root and apple soup
    • celeriac salad with parmesan, walnuts, and parsley

How do you use it @judsoncarroll4 ?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Mostly in soup. It makes an amazing "cream of" type soup with butter and flour (roux), milk and broth. It is good in salads, but roasted and mashed would be my next favorite - served with butter.