10 vegetable you can grow in 40 days or less

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fast growing veggies can often be used to extend your growing season, make better use of garden space and I often grow these in containers, both indoors and out. By growing indoors I can extend my season and how much I may be able to put away or use fresh.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    edited April 2022

Something I read today that I had never thought of before - edible ground covers.

I don't leave bare ground in my gardens and usually mulch with compost but today I read, mulch with edible plants. I need to read about this more. It may not work for area with strict HOAS - but maybe a certain edible cover would get approved.

• Monek Marie
    edited April 2022

I also always have sprouts or greens growing on my windowsill and a few special crops get grow lights. I save enough on not buying veggies I can spend a little more on electric.

Cherry tomatoes and a few hot pepper varieties will also produce a few veggies.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Monek Marie I will start a discussion on edible ground covers. It sounds like a fantastic topic!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found growing greens indoors to be quick and easy. I agree the money saved on food covers the extra electricity when I need to use grow lights. I have tried growing tomatoes and peppers inside without much luck. I think that my house just isn't warm enough in the winter months.

A lot of the plants listed in the article are some of the first that I put in my garden each year. I can usually get them in a full month earlier than most of my other plants. I usually use the space for something different in the warmest months. This year I plan to switch back to the fast crops at the end of my growing season to squeeze in a last small harvest.

• Monek Marie

@Michelle D Cherry tomatoes will usually grow in a house. I set up one of those small cheap indoor greenhouses, usually green in color and grow them in the for extra warmth without paying for extra heat.

I do a little aquaponics too using a fish tank. I use KOI and can sell the pretty ones for cash that pays for any food and electricity use

• Monek Marie

I'd also mix in some edible flowers. More color and food.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I have not grown veggies inside yet. And slugs really get ahold of some things I try to squeeze in before the warmer months. I'll look one day and see stuff sprouting- then slowly the sprouts disappear. Slugs😤. I have made traps, i have tried to attract more birds, i cannot make a frog home on small space i live, i have hand hunted after dark. That is definitely a downside to woodchip gardening i see.