Happy Earth Day

Its Earth Day!

My community is doing a garbage clean-up today. Volunteers will be going along the roadside picking up litter and debris. Its a small project but big things happen with small steps.

I see other community projects online. Planting trees. Planting for bees and other pollinators. Preparing community gardens. FireSmarting your neighbourhood. Awareness campaigns. Bottle drives. What is your community doing?

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not today but next Saturday our church is going to be having a "Just Serve" day. Our church has numerous locations and each is going to be doing things in and around the community. What we do depends on what the school/company/non-profit needs.

And there are family-friendly service areas too, so even kids like my 8 yr old daughter can help.😊

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭

April 30th my church is working at a park in our city and the city library is having a children's day where each child can choose a free book. I will be volunteering in the City museum so the Director of the Museum can help with the Library extravaganza! They need Volunteers for this.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I taught a class on how to save seeds and the value of seed saving in todays economy. We followed it up by a seed swap and wow! We had fun!!!

I also had trees and bushes to pick up from the conservation group. They sell them bare root for a fund raiser. I had wanted witch hazel but they were sold out but when I got there they had extras, which I got for free. Nice weather and a great earth day.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,507 admin

Awesome project @Monek Marie!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

It was an amazing event. I have had great comments on how much fun everyone had. I love giving out seeds and encouraging people to grow.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Earth Day month!

• Udi315
    Udi315 Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

@SuperC with you in celebrating this month.

I am grateful every day for all we are given to steward on this beautiful wondrous life-giving planet.

• Udi315

Oops ...

@SuperC had to click on your handle (?) to get it to highlight blue...still learning how to do this online chatting/forum 😅

see previous comment

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Happy belated Earth Day! At my school we had an Eco carnival and all the different groups had games, prizes, etc. I did ring toss with recycled kombucha bottles. Our prize was flower seeds.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

my mom and I gently put up chicken wire fencing around tulip beds and then covered the top hole opening with bird netting to deter the deer in both the backyard and front yards (behind the mailboxes out front) Lately a huge doe has been a birdfeeder visitor on its hind legs slurping the seed. That’s a project we did on Earth Day.

• Udi315

Went and joined a local tree group and learned to replace the mulch around 60 young trees at a local elementary school.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

This is my daughters birthday- amazing day😅