First time on crutches
Well, I made it almost to 61 without ever having to use crutches. Not bad. Went outside to shut down generator last Thursday night very late. Walking on an layer of hard packed snow/ice. Seems the melting runoff had eaten the snow and ice from below and left a shelf of sorts there. When I stepped on it that shelf broke off. Only dropped and inch or two but it was enough to wrench my knee and all my weight to the side and onto that knee.
Hurt so bad I couldn't move for about 10 minutes. When I could it was barely a shuffling limp and very painful. Hubby was already asleep and I was not bright enough to take my phone out with me.
Managed to get inside and to my walking stick. Used it to help me finish getting ready for bed as well as taking Homeopathic Arnica and using arnica oil on the knee before laying down. Not much sleep was had that night.
Local clinic the nest morning. X-rays didn't show much two possible hairline fractures deep inside on the bone tips where ligaments attach inside joint. Wrapped with ace bandages, put me on crutches with instructions to ice over the weekend and if not considerably better go to orthopedic walk in clinic in nearet larger town about an hour away. Ended up doing that on Monday. More x-rays and a knee brace. Torn meniscus. If hairline fractures they are very small and not clear. Told to take Aleve every 12 hours and come back on the 28th.
Guess it could have been worse. They also saw some old hairline fractures that had healed on their own. Told me I am stubborn. lol I knew that already.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter