Sage is blooming

Kuri and Kona
Kuri and Kona Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Well, I was going to divide my sage plant. It has gotten huge from the tiny seedling I bought back in 2020. But I didn`t get around to it, and now it has blossomed. Somehow I didn`t realize that sages are in the salvia family until just recently. I also didn`t realize that it was going to bloom like this until I saw the buds. (Maybe it bloomed last year and I just forget. ) The color is actually a more vivid purple, but it didn`t come out right in the picture.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Garden sage has such beautiful blossoms. Really deserves a place in flower beds. Its a great plant for those people who are dealing with HOAs that don't allow veggies or herbs. Sage can hide really well in a manicured flower garden.

• Kuri and Kona

@torey I`ve never had to deal with an HOA, so I did some reading about this topic. Wow, some of these places are really strict! Some people I read about fought to keep edible plants in their front yards and won (with the provision that it was well kept up.)

I love the vivid purple color of my sage, but I am wondering about pruning it. It has gotten so big. I am not even trying to divide it. It is just that the branches are spreading outside of the container. I thought cutting off a few of the flowering branches and displaying them indoors would be nice (for the week or so that it lasts). Do you think that this will hurt the plant?

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kuri and Kona I have cut flowering branches from mine at various times without any issues. I don't get to overwinter mine as I don't have space but when we had a very hot spell in June mine started flowering way early. I decided to just cut some anyway and had no issues at all.

• Kuri and Kona

@vickeym Thank you. I will do that then. It would be pretty in the house, and it would also give a little bit more space where I have the sage.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@Kuri and Kona Think of it as pruning. If you let a plant go to seed it will think its job is done. If you cut flowering branches, its like pruning to encourage new growth. :)

• Kuri and Kona

@torey Thank you. If it is fine to prune it when flowering, then I will go for it!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Kuri and Kona beautiful blossoms. There are so many different varieties of sage with different colours. I collect leaves before it blossoms. It would be clever to cut the blossoms, but I love to see it bloom.

• Kuri and Kona

@jowitt.europe I have some cut now and displayed in the kitchen. It smells so lovely! I just had no idea that sage bloomed like this.