The Pawpaw

This is an interesting article. We had pawpaw trees when I was very young. I don't recall how they tasted. Gonna have to see if I can find some to try.

The revival of a forgotten American fruit - BBC Travel

Tagged:

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,353 admin

They grow wild around here - it is an interesting and unique fruit with some medicinal properties. I'll feature it in my article next week.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I found one on the ground one day at a wild space near us. It was not in decent looking shape to taste- i saved the seeds- but lost them.

I think they grow all around me but i don't have "eyes" for them yet. Once I see the fruit on the tree in person right in front of me and positively identify it then I will begin to notice them everywhere.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nicksamanda11 Isn't that the way it always works?

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

They grow wild here too, @judsoncarroll4.

I know a local man who grows them and sells them. I'm hoping to get some to put on our property for understory growth.

I never tasted them but I'm hoping to this year.😊

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have had them twice and they taste good. Definitely a unique fruit lol. I have 2 survivors from my seedlings last year. They are ripe in late August to early October (mostly in earlier part of this time line though). Rinse the seeds and wrap them in a damp paper towel. Put them in a sandwich bag and store in the fridge until spring.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

A month or so ago I read a book on the pawpaw at our local library. _Pawpaw: In Search of America’s Forgotten Fruit_ by Andrew Moore.

It was interesting to see a window on how this fruit was used in the past and how it fell into disuse. It was popular in an era of wild foraging, but it proved to be challenging to domesticate. As more land was developed privately, older eaters died off, and young people never learned to use it, interest faded.

There are a few growers who are trying to establish it as a commercial crop, but it will be very challenging both to get it accepted by consumers and to improve the varieties to be worthwhile.

I considered buying some and planting in my back yard, but it is only hardy to zone 5, so they would probably not survive here. And it takes years to get a plant big enough to harvest from it.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I'm honestly not sure I have ever even seen a pawpaw in real life, much less tasted one. This has me curious, though. How would you describe the taste and texture?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,482 admin

@Linda Bittle

I guess it depends where in the world you are & thank goodness for Latin names. I know pawpaw or papaya as Carica papaya, which grows in tropical areas, whereas the variety you mention is Asimina triloba, which is more temperate & grows wild in Nth America. I’m pretty sure @torey was all over the difference between these 2, in another post. I wonder if they taste similar?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,502 admin

I've never had a pawpaw (Asimina) before. From what I have read, they have a bit of a banana flavour mixed with mango. I'm not that big of a banana fan so not sure that they would become a favourite for me.

I do like the taste of papayas, though. I'm sure the fresh homegrown ones have much more flavour than what we get in stores this far north.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Merin Porter I was just a kid last time I had one. Probably at least 50 years ago...boy, that was strange to type.