I'm sure it is long past this time for many of you, but here in Central BC, it is time for the early spring greens. Dandelions are just flowering and the greens are excellent.
I went for a drive into the mountains yesterday on a search for fiddleheads. As there is still nearly 3 feet of snow in parts of the area we were looking, it was a bit early but we were rewarded with a few fiddleheads and some False Solomon's Seal shoots (Maianthemum racemosum, not Polygonatum).
We are thinking another week and we should get a good harvest. Long drive on expensive gas, though. But it was very good to get out into the mountains after a long winter.
If its early spring in your area, what are you foraging?
This Week's Leaders
- 603 All Categories
- 28 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 32 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 270 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 403 Current Events & Breaking News
- 24 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.2K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.3K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 464 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 30 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 423 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 341 The Homestead: DIY
- 1K Personal Journals
- 90 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter