My new medicinal plants & seeds

These are from Richters & Rarexoticseeds.

I am still waiting on a live plant delivery. Those will be a yucca (from a local garden seed supplier), gotu kola, ginger bush, solomon's seal & comfrey.

Here are the seeds that I bought and will be trying my hand at growing. Some will be for indoors, a few will be for outdoors. Many of these grow well indoors, so I read, helping some of these make the cut.

The shepherd's purse packet was hiding. We have some here, but it seems, very little. I also received my red pinecone ginger seeds.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get two or three others (plants/seeds), since they weren't in stock. 😞 Maybe another time. I have plenty to figure out with these!

Now, it is time to research how to start each type properly (and if I need a special soil mix as I do for the pitcher plant...Sarracenia), leaving room for a brief summary of why I bought each one.

I will add the summary a bit later. Planting first!

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a really fun project. Happy growing and good luck! I may peruse their catalog. A lot of those look really intriguing to me :)

• Kuri and Kona
    Kuri and Kona Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Ooh, this looks wonderful! I am growing gota kola myself this year. All I have is tiny seedlings so far. As for planting indoors, all I have indoors is ornamental plants. It`s definitely something to look into, the garden is at max capacity right now.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited May 2022

@annbeck62 It's actually exciting and intimidating!

Yesterday I bought a special planting mix to try for certain seeds/plants that require more specialized planting medium. I found that I also needed some large peat/paper pots for those plants that don't like their roots disturbed.

@Kuri and Kona I figured that with supply chain issues popping up everywhere, it was wise to try to grow some plants that cover a wide spectrum of ailments. Some can survive outdoors here, but other ones will not survive in my zone, so I checked online to see if those could survive as houseplants.

I have a growlight that I bought for edibles like lettuce & common herbs. I will put some of these that require more light under this as well if needed.

I may plant some herbs at the base of some of my other edible the houseplants, a ground cover of sorts.

I did successfully grow chickweed at the base of my lemon tree this winter and hope to grow plantain in others this coming winter.

I know that most houseplants are actually tropical plants. Plus, I've been successful with growing citrus, avocado, pineapple & banana trees indoors.

I figure it is worth trying. I just wish I had more windows & plant floor space! I may have to get creative.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Oh you will have such fun. I love growing new things and doing the research to go along with it, you learn so much

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Monek Marie I think that's best. Hands on, getting your hands dirty, is the best way to learn.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

It's a very smart idea. Everyday I hear about more reasons for supply chain disruption and shortages.

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Impressive!! Congratulations!! I've gotten a lot of stuff from Richter's and a few from Rare Exotic Seeds, myself. Richter's has some great stuff but they send such tiny pots that I usually lose about 1/3 to dehydration or overwatering or something before I can get them into the ground.

I've got several Bo Ju Hua medicinal chrysanthemums in our front yard and hoping they will flower early enough to avoid heavy frosts, here. I just planted six astragalus from Simply Medicinals, and will be using them primarily as nitrogen fixers (double duty!) until such time as I might need their roots. Beware the Calenudula (did you get the Resina variety?) - they are WEEDS!!!!!! They self-sow mercilessly and love, love. love dry, well-drained soil, though they won't turn down the better stuff, either. But they sure are pretty. I'm preparing for medicine shortages like everybody else.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2022

My Richters plants arrived fine and all are doing well, except for one Comfrey plant that developed a bit of powdery mildew...but that's the only problem it has. The plant is strong. Those are outside in larger pots awaiting planting.

Here is each of the plants above with their information on plant markers. These 3 will continue to remain indoors.

I am really excited about the first plant and how it works on migraines. The thing is, what migraines is it actually effective on...when it is chemical, dehydration or something else?

My problem is that I usually get them when I am away from home and only in a specific city...sometimes. Exhaust from certain vehicles (old & new) is part of the issue. I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to carry a live leaf with me all day.

One of our kids only gets one when exposed to cigar smoke (even a little), and that's only when we are many hours from home visiting grandparents and it happens almost immediately as we leave & her body is dealing with trying to get rid of it.

I'm not looking forward to feeling the effect of the smoke. Even though no one there actively smokes anymore, its even super strong outside the house where we will be meeting, and that's enough to cause all of us problems. 😵

Maybe I will try to bring some in a bag in a cooler when we go there this summer. That might be the best.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

How exciting, I love getting new seeds, in fact I have some coming from Botanical Interest! Too me it is like Christmas 😁

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Lisa K What did you order? Did you get some seeds that are going to stretch your boundaries a bit too?

It is like Christmas!

• Lisa K

@LaurieLovesLearning This year I am trying Cleavers, Chaste Tree, Dwarf Moringa, Tulsi, Catnip (I have a plant plus seeds) plus other seeds I already have. Most of the seeds in this latest order are vegetables and edible flowers.

• Lisa K

Oops I forgot Burdock which I just checked and it appears one seed is starting to germinate.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

For dwarf moringa they need at least a 1 gallon pot to flower after they are about a year old. I have gotten flowers, but no seeds yet. Hopefully they will make some this summer!

Also all of those seeds and plants look awesome!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered vetiver grass as my special plant this year. I troed to start a bunch of interesting seeds and most sprouted but then died. I will try more another time i guess.

I successfully have clary sage, holy basil, elecampane, and i have one california poppy that may or may not make it. My comfrey is GIGANTIC! Love it😍

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Oh and did you know that gotu cola is literally a weed in Florida! I couldn't believe it was everywhere and I did not harvest any😯