Sun reaction

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

My niece is getting a reaction to sun. She breaks out in a rash.

What would help with this?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

A list of refrigerant herbs that would be suitable for a sun rash include chickweed (Stellaria media), fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium), blue malva flowers (Malva sylvestris), chamomile (all species) and rose petals. They are all anti-inflammatory to some degree.

You could make a salve with any one or more of these herbs.

ACV is cooling to the skin (helps dissipate heat) so maybe an infusion of any of these herbs in ACV and make a spray with it.

Is she on any medications? Some meds can make a person photosensitive. There are some herbs that may also have this reaction.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Monek Marie what does the rash look like? Where is it?

My grandpa had a sun allergy and I developed the same as an adult. If it is a sun allergy, the sun causes it to appear and more direct sun is what is needed to make it go away.

This happens every spring/early-mid summer, but somehow some years are worse than others.

I find that mine appears mostly under my ears, on my neck, and is very itchy. The rash for me shows up like huge pimples without a head/mosquito bites.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will ask to see what it looks like and its mainly on her arms.

• karon
    karon Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Does she use artificial sweeteners? I know of at least one person that has issues with the sun if she accidentally has any nutrasweet/aspertame.

Also, Citrus - below is copied from the net...

Some citrus fruits — such as limes often squeezed into summer drinks can leave a residue on the skin, which causes a painful rash when exposed to the sun. It's called phytophotodermatitis, also known as margarita dermatitis or bartender dermatitis,