Looking for help in my garden plan

ChrisHaukoos
ChrisHaukoos Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm in Zone 4b. I was wondering if someone could please review my garden plan as I would like to start planting. (Date of posting May 23, 2022)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ChrisHaukoos
    Answer ✓

Thanks, Laurie!!! I will separate out the tomatoes and potatoes then, thank you for pointing that out!!! Does it matter if they are in the same garden? North is actually to the right, where the corn is at. The garden itself is on the south side of our house.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin
    Answer ✓

@ChrisHaukoos That looks like a lot of spinach. I would plant a row every week so that you have a staggered harvest.

Pole beans would do well with the corn, using the corn stalks to climb up. Bush beans might get a bit too much shade from the corn.

Answers

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

@ChrisHaukoos All of those things should grow well in Zone 4, provided you picked suitable varieties.

My first thought is which way is north?

My second thought is that tomatoes & potatoes should not be planted together. There is too much of an issue with pests & diseases. I would separate those.

On this page, there is a download from a seed company in BC, Canada that has a decent companion planting chart. It might help you out a little.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/blogs/garden-wisdom/companion-planting

• ChrisHaukoos

Thanks @torey!!! Very good advice. I was thinking of doing a three sisters style planting which isn't as organized. I'll have to get some climbing beans, that wasn't in my packet. I attached a new plan to account for the tomaoes and potatoes switch. North is on the right side where the corn is.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@ChrisHaukoos I agree with what everyone has mentioned already.

I would like to add what I have found to be most beneficial is to add more different varieties of flowers. I really liked adding calendula and nasturtium along with herbs such as basil, sage, dill, etc. Also, if you can squeeze some in the other parts of the garden (not just on the perimeter) that would be helpful with minimizing pests and not relying on just the marigolds to do it on their own. 😊

• ChrisHaukoos

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Thanks for the suggestions!!!! I will have to see if I can find those plants around.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

@ChrisHaukoos They can totally be in the same garden without issue!