Arabica Coffee Tree

I came across a site selling roasted beans for coffee, and it claimed all parts except the bean itself are toxic...which is incorrect. They are actually quite healthy! You can use the leaves for tea.

I was looking for a good fertilizer for it, preferably espoma citrus tone 5-2-6, and can only find it on Amazon Canada where the price is sky-high and shipping is worse. I wonder if it can be found elsewhere in a store. @torey I would be interested to know if you might be able to find a source in BC since some people have grown citrus on the island. I would prefer the fertilizer above so I can use it for my orange & lemon trees (I just read diluted fish emulsion works). I should look for volcanic dust too.

I was reading elsewhere that an all purpose houseplant fertilizer will work, but I wonder how ideal that is?

Here are some good instructions on how to grow your own coffee tree indoors. I like how detailed they are on this site, covering many of my questions.

Comments

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

With the rate that the price of good, organic coffee is going up, it is tempting to get some coffee growing in a greenhouse (or in the house). Of course, here we do have dandelion root, if I can get my husband on board with that idea.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Sorry, @LaurieLovesLearning. I haven't had much luck finding this product other than Ace Hardware seems to carry it. But that would involve shipping to you as well, cause I don't think there is an Ace store near you. Nothing turns up for anything in BC. I checked with a couple of companies that sell citrus but they didn't advertize selling any fertilizers.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@torey I think that's the thing...the places selling citrus possibly just don't advertise what they have for fertilizers, or it could be that they don't sell citrus specific, but use something else in their watering system.

There isn't an ACE Hardware here.

Thanks for checking.