I wonder how this will turn out? Farmers already grow the altered & stinky weed known as canola, but I know of few who praise the dandelion.
I've often joked with my husband about planting dandelions as a crop. It is easy to grow because it geows like a weed, 😁 and is moisture & drought hardy. I'm sure the grain & cattle farmers would not be pleased & think we were crazy.
In BC, the seeds that blow so freely here are sold in seed catalogues. The greens can be eaten. The roots are healthy as well and medicinal. Now, you might be able to market it at some point for rubber. Bonus on top of bonus.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter