What are your favorite herb teas and tea blends?

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

With the price of coffee going through the roof, I am begrudgingly drinking more tea. So far, I have found that mixing herbs with regular black tea suits my tastes. But, chamomile and lemon grass alone is nice in the evenings. I've never been a tea guy. What herb combos would y'all suggest I try?

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

I am a recovering coffaholic and as such I hadn't noticed the price of coffee going up. But it is an imported product for many of us so I can see that continuing to increase.

I started drinking tulsi tea awhile ago. Its very nice on its own but it would be good in blends, too. I see lots of tulsi blends on the market.

Mullein and thyme would be a go-to drink for me if I had a lung issue, but its got a good enough flavour to have when you aren't sick. I use it in a proportion of 1 Tbsp mullein to 1 tsp thyme.

So many varieties of mint to have on their own but also to add to blends.

This isn't so much a tea, but a herbal coffee. Rosalee de la Foret's recipe for Roasted Roots Brew from her Wild Remedies book using dandelion, chicory and burdock roots.

• judsoncarroll4

I think tulsi would be nice. I am also considering Trying to grow some yaupon holly and maybe even camelia/true tea as house plants. Mullein and thyme are in my daily allergy tincture. I agree that the flavor is not great. I really like cooking with thyme though. I use a lot of thyme and bay leaf.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many different kinds of teas and some of my favorite is Tulsi with Rose, Chai, mint, etc.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,513 admin
    edited June 2022

I have some favorite blends, but I would have to do some searching to find the tea bag covers with the ingredients. Obviously I haven't replicated them. Most likely because I had to wait too long between trying the tea & being able to source ingredients.

I don't like black, green or white teas...herbal only. I drink coffee on occasion and enjoy it, but I don't have to have it. It's a luxury for me. I couldn't drink it for so many years due to it making my stomach feel like I swallowed a boulder. I am just happy I can have some here & there now without that strange reaction happening.

Rooibos is good. Chai is pleasant. Spearmint is refreshing of course. I often mix stinging nettle, raspberry leaf & red clover, sometimes with chamomile.

Maple sap boiled down a bit in the sapping season mixed with chamomile or other mild flavors is fantastic! Lemongrass is horrible when mixed with it though. I tried it, and will never do that again!

I like to mix & match my flavorful & otherwise medicinal herbs & see what I come up with. It's just like food. Play a little! Get a list of what is available to you, try a little of each and start mixing!

I really like Rosemary Gladstar's basil tea for headaches. My picture will most likely come up sideways. 😕 It appears so.

I have enjoyed all of these in various combinations.

Sometimes dried orange peel or lemon peel adds a pleasant flavor. Don't forget dried berries either. They can liven up a tea!

I have yet to try avocado, guava, mango, orange & coffee leaves (separately of course).

Lemon leaves were interesting. I'm not sure how to describe it.

You should find yourself an arabia coffee tree, I think! You can grow it indoors.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I drink both coffee and tea depending on what mood I'm in. I have 2 whole shelves of a cupboard filled with different tea blends. I both make my own blends and have some tea bags for when I'm feeling a little lazy. I've rarely met a tea I didn't enjoy . Homemade chai is delicious so is earl gray lavender latte. When I'm in the mood for something that's coffee like but don't want coffee I mix roasted dandelion root and chicory. I find many herbal teas are even more delicious cold. I brew a hot cup of tea and then pour into a mason jar filled with ice.

• Lisa K

@LaurieLovesLearning that recipe looks tasty!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Lisa K It is! It makes a very lovely evening tea.

• judsoncarroll4

That does look good! Maybe instead of a caffein plant, I'll get some Mormon Tea/ ephedra started. It can handle the cold and is very much like caffein. It is good for asthma and very high in minerals. I cook with avocado leaves, but I haven't tried them as a tea. They are in the same family as bay, but more mild and with a slight anise-like flavor. Avocado leaf is the mystery flavor in really good restaurant style refried beans, and the reason why home versions never seem quite as good.

• judsoncarroll4

Earl Grey is my favorite black tea. But, you have inspired me to have chai this morning!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@judsoncarroll4 If you don't mind posting some recipes using avocado leaf in its own thread, I'd certainly be interested.

• judsoncarroll4
  • Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I have a collection of teas, and really like a good black tea with ginger and peach as it's good both hot and iced. (Republic of Tea is a good one.) I love spearmint with black tea, also good iced. Most chai blends are good, especially with honey and half and half. Here's one from my friends over at Learning Herbs.

A good Lapsang Souchong is good in the evening, with honey and half and half. It's smoked over a fire, and quite different.

My mom and her mom drank boiling hot Lipton tea (granny with saccharine pellets!) for as long as I can remember. I didn't regularly drink coffee until I moved to Washington in 2006. They practically make you sign a paper saying you will support the coffee industry when you come in from out of state. Now I enjoy both, depending on my mood.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rate peppermint tea as my favorite. I am hoping to get some mint started in the yard this year so that I can make it without constantly buying tea bags. Mint is supposed to grow and expand very readily, practically as a weed, but I have found it hard to start from seed. If you want true peppermint, rather than just any mint, you have to start from plants anyway because mint doesn't breed true.

Spruce tea is excellent. I drink it iced, but it would be good hot, too. Just clip the tip of a branch off a spruce tree and steep it, needles, branch, and all, in hot water. I have to keep clipping my spruce tree anyway to keep it out of the driveway.

I tried growing chamomille a year or two ago, but they didn't produce enough to be worth using as tea. I think a bigger plot than the few square feet of flower garden I had available would be needed.

I asked whether anyone on TGN knew of a caffeine source that will grow in cooler climates, but no one had any to suggest.

• Lisa K

I have both spearmint and peppermint growing, both are doing well.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I LOVE roasted dandelion root. I started using it instead of a second cup of coffee a while back. I began with a Dandelion Butter Latte recipe from Rosalee de la Forêt but I’m not a huge fan of butter in my coffee and it devolved into a fake mocha which even my kids loved.

It is 2 Tablespoons of roasted dandelion In 16 ounces of water simmered uncovered for 20 minutes. I like to add some form of cocoa powder or nibs as it simmers, then I strain it and add a bit of sugar and milk or cream. If you use cream you can froth it up with a hand blender but it’s too much fuss for me most days.

My other favorite drink is made with Thai Red Roselle. I dry the calyces and simmer them all year with cinnamon, allspice, and a criminal amount of sugar before Straining it and serving it over ice. There’s a thread about roselle somewhere on here, it’s very easy to grow and makes great jam too.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

Another suggestion if you like licorice or anise flavours. Anise-hyssop.

I had forgotten that I planted two anise-hyssop plants next to one of my roses last year. I discovered them as I was about to dig over that section this spring. The shovel was within inches of them. So happy I was paying attention.

• judsoncarroll4
  • jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,452 admin

I drink only herbal infusions. I have so many favourite ones. I make a blend for a week and then change to another one. It is difficult to decide on the favourite one. Usually I choose one favourite herb and add some neutral ones in taste, but good for health. E.g. I like thyme, but it is quite intensive on its own, thus I mix it with ground ivy or dandelion leaves. Or lavender in the evening mixed with raspberry or blackberry leaves; lemon balm with raspberry leaves; caraway is my favourite after a meal; I like st John’s wort. Also on its own. And lime blossoms. Also without mixing with other herbs.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

I like kool aid tea blend😂

1 part hibiscus

1 part rose hips

1/2 part stevia leaf

A few chunks of orange peel

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I really enjoy Vanilla Chai, Chocolate Mint, and Dandelion Root teas.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

Corn Silk tea. It is great for UTI's and is very soothing. I even canned several jars of dried corn silk. I need more but now I cannot eat corn.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@judsoncarroll4 like you I was a coffee drinker but over the last few years, I’m having a rethink on that. More herbs, much less milk. Since you introduced me to Maria Treben, I gotta say I enjoy drinking nettle tea. About 1/2 way through autumn, I drink 2 cups every morning, to build up my immunity to winter colds etc.

Blending herbs is a bit of an art & relies on personal taste but I like playing around with oatstraw, passionflower, elderflower, golden rod, lemon balm. Traditional teas are lovely, especially French Earl Grey & Orange Pekoe.

• Lisa K

For the past few months I have been drinking Milky Oat tea and the last week or two I have been adding some of my herbs such as Catnip mint, Basil, etc.

This Week's Leaders