Refried Beans with Avocado Leaf
This is the way I make them, to suit my taste.
Boil beans until soft - usually either pinto or black beans
Drain off the water, add a tablespoon or more of lard along with a half teaspoon or so of finely crushed dried avocado leaf, stems removed, a tablespoon of cumin, finely chopped onion and crushed garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
Mash the beans and stir over low heat until done.
I usually add a little chopped pepper and cilantro to black beans - the green flavors work well with the black beans.
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter