How are you growing your medicine cabinet this year?
It’s a good year for medicinals of all sorts on our little farm in Alabama. We have huge patches of elderberries and I started a tincture of the flowers last week, though I don’t really know what it is used for yet. I’m on the third leg of my wild lettuce tincture preparation (as recommended by our fearless leader, thanks so much!) and looking forward to the triple strength in my favorite pain reducer. I repotted the horsetail and it has gone crazy! I’m very grateful to whoever it was that warned me about its invasive tendencies. I’m excited about learning about these things and I have to be careful about over sharing when talking with friends who aren’t interested. I hate it when their eyes glaze over!
I had a blemish on my face that has plagued me for years. It had gotten scratched and just wouldn’t heal. A friend recommended using comfrey leaf steeped in boiling vinegar and within a week, the place is gone and only a small pink dot remains. She recommended it for the many cuts and tears my family gets because of our collagen defect so I made up a bunch of jars to have ready. Of course, being ready for them has drastically reduced the numbers so no one has needed it since.
I started meadowsweet, goat’s rue and heal all today and my husband built a box to grow a burdock start a friend gave me. She also brought me a pot of bee balm yesterday before I discovered this morning that I lost my last bee hive. I guess there’s just too much commercial agriculture going on around us along with neighbors who insist on using roundup to maintain their fences.
So, what are you enjoying most this year and what would you most like to add?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter