Tired of shredding sensitive info? New way to clear shipping label information.

shllnzl
shllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure how to categorize this posting.

I'm really good about shredding personally identifiable information so I separate junk mail, bills etc., for the shredder.

Shipping labels are a little more problematic because they are hard to remove and can become part of bubble wrap, and, further, they often remain sticky so they can gum up your shredder.

I accidentally discovered that alcohol wipes will take the ink off the labels. I now plan to bulk wipe the info away before the containers go into the recycle bin.

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea. Would also be handy for everyone who donate magazines after they have read them. I could see using a small alcohol wipe pad to destroy the label information.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea. We have a box of alcohol wipes from when I had to do Mom's antibiotic IV at home.

• shllnzl

I have done some testing on junk mail labels -- not all labels can be wiped; I suppose it depends on what ink is used.

At least the shipping labels should clear.

I plan to test magazine labels.

• water2world
    water2world Sherry Jochen Sevierville, TNPosts: 790 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl What a great idea--I'm going to try this!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭

Great idea, I'm going to try this.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 751 admin

This seems easier then using a sharpy to cover up your information like I usually do lol

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Editorial Director Southwest Colorado (Zone 6a)Posts: 978 admin

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing, @shllnzl !

• shllnzl

Bad news: I went back to a box that had had its label wiped. Some of the text came back after the label dried, although the info was much fainter.

I guess we can all experiment a little as opportunity presents itself.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information, what a great idea.

Did you know?

Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant in the world; it can grow 35 inches in a single day.

🍅 Tomatoes: From Seeds To Sauce Toolkit 🍅

Master this Holy Grail of Gardening and benefit from a plant that offers tons of essential vitamins and nutrients!

Learn More

Over 610,088 people are apart of The Grow Network.

You can help us reach 1 Million! Give the gift of sustainability by sending your loved ones a Grow Network gift card.

Give them what they want

Today, do the biggest small thing that will better the world, and be satisfied with your efforts.

Marjory Wildcraft
Join our Discord Chat!

Get even more connected with The Grow Network.

Dive in here