Why is it so hard to eat well on holidays?!!!!
Recently we went on holiday, within Australia, to explore country we had not seen before. While we did have a great time and got to see some amazing country, think dairy farms, vineyards, orchards, beaches & Australian bush, we did find it a challenge to find & eat good healthy food. Whilst the area I was visiting, (Margaret River, WA) prides itself on sustainable agricultural practices, tourism etc, I was dumb founded that my food choices were limited.
Nearly every meal came with hot chips(fries), white bread, very basic salad or vegetable choices, grain fed meat, lots of deep fried food & burgers, burgers & more burgers. The vegetarian options were basic & usually uninteresting. Now we were travelling with others & they don’t have the same tastes that I or my wife have, so we did compromise I guess & ended up eating more crap than we normally would. So when we got home, we were craving “our food” & it took a few days to come good. My digestion was shot & I felt tired, emotional & out of sorts. I did pack our vitamins & green smoothie powder but that just wasn’t enough.
Why is there such a disconnect between what we should be eating & what is available? It seems that food establishments just want turnover, get em in ,get em out & feed em fast. I don’t like it. Sure we were in a new place, didn’t know the lay of the land but it shouldn’t be so hard. Do you have similar experiences or am I a whinger or my expectations too high?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter