What additional supplies do you have ?

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

If we don't have electricity to you have a way to cook your food? Wood, small camp stove, barbeque, or what other method?

How will you see in your house? Yes, you can pull your drapes, mini blinds etcetera but in the evening when there is no light or not much light what do you have that will provide light? Candles, flashlight, there are some amazing light sources available.

It seems important to shelter in place if at all possible. What can you do to help others?

Comments

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hi, having a way to alternate ways to thrive is a great idea for power outages or fun home camping. When I purchase new camping gear, the thoughts are always being able to go off grid. I prefer primitive camping to campgrounds. Both advantages.

We've got a woodstove and a biolite rocket stove. Love the rocket stove! You can cook with sticks, cardboard or pine cones. The heat of the fire generates energy to run a fan. The excess energy charges a battery. That battery can be used to plug in a USB cord, light, charge a phone etc.

Many years ago I purchased a solar camping kit. Came with a foldable solar panel, battery pack, speaker and lantern. All can be charged by the solar panel and used to charge a phone.

We have a good sized apothecary. It's just as important to have herbs in the house as they are to have in the garden.

Great question, look forward to reading what others right.

Water filtration is a BIG concern. We have rain barrels and have had to use them for drinking water. Luckily we were able to boil on the stove. I would have liked to filter it more.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hassena Here's a link that has 15 different DIY water filters.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing @RustBeltCowgirl they all look quite similar with sand/gravel. I thought of making one of these when our well was out for weeks. I used a coffee filter for sediment filter. Which it seems most of there are focused on sediment. Then we boiled the water for 15 minutes before drinking.

Using the gravel/sand combo with activated charcoal may filter out more sediments/containments. I'd love to get a water tester somehow. That's my only concern if having to use this time of filter for an extended period of time.

The rain barrels were awesome for being able to flush the toilet. I don't mind peeing outside...the other i prefer inside. ahaha

We also keep frozen jugs of water in our large freezer for brushing teeth. It seems at least once a year our well goes out. Each time we are more ready to for short term solutions.

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Hassena I will get a hold of my "brother-in-law", when camping; we use a 4 cartridge water filter system built with 4 taste and odor/pool filters. Commonly referred to as a "cow". I'll see if he can give a quick and dirty construction overview.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

We have a good fireplace outside & no shortage of wood. We do have a woodstove & wood cookstove (that I couldn't find replacement parts for...still working on that). We also have a camp stove & portable burner, & 3 mini charcoal barbecues. Cooking is not an issue for us.

For light, we have LED flashlights & beeswax candles. Eight tapers in a candle chandelier can brighten a space quite well.

As for water, we get some from a spring. We store a lot at a time. In summer, we have a rain barrel as well that could be helpful, but it wouldn't be enough to keep all of our animals watered.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a lot of the things people would traditionally have for dealing with power outages. For example battery powered lanterns, flashlights, outdoor grill, some water storage etc. But we also have somethings that are a bit more uncommon.

My dad used to belong to a group called The Frontiersmen Camping Fellowship. They would go on week long events where they would live as people would have in the mid 1700's. He had some pretty amazing gear. When he passed I recieved the portion of it that he had kept after retirement.

My favorite pieces are for cooking over a fire. He taught me how to cook over a fire when I was very young. We used newer equipment at the time but I do know how to use all of his FCF equipment now.

I also have some really great period oil lanterns and plenty of oil to keep them running. I probably should get a few back up wicks for them.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

The newer units for cooking are amazing. Like the Biolite line of products. A friend of mine has the one that can charge a phone, light and a battery pack.

I have several methods of cooking. I have a wood cookstove in my kitchen and lots of firewood. I have a propane BBQ for outside cooking and two butane stoves (they are awesome) that can be used inside. I have a firepit if it comes to cooking over an open fire. Love my cast iron ware that can be used on any of these cooking sources. I have two dutch ovens, one on feet. I do need to look for a tripod, though. Sterno cans (canned alcohol jel) are another option which may work better for people who live in more urban settings (apartments, etc.).

I have a wide variety of lights. Battery flashlights and lanterns as well as USB rechargeable ones so they could be charged on a biolite but I also have a solar charger (and a few regular chargers). I have 5 kerosene lights including a very nice yard lantern and a lovely antique with a fancy shade. Just bought extra wicks. I have a propane light, too. The kind that screws onto a small propane bottle, just in case I need extra intense light for anything. I have lots of candles, but also the wax, wicks and molds & dipping pot to make more. There are several bee keepers in my area that supply wax.

Water isn't an issue for us. We have a well that can be pumped using a generator but when the fuel runs out we also have a lake right across the road from us. We might have to carry it but would still always have water. Lots of springs in my immediate area. too. Because of where I live, water filtration is not an issue. Most people who live on my lake draw water from it and use it safely without any filtration system. Even when travelling in wilderness areas in my region, I have never hesitated to drink water from any running water source. If I were concerned I would probably get a Berkey.

Its important to have a small radio, preferably one that has multiple charging options. I have one that can be recharged via electricity, solar or hand crank. This keeps you in touch with the outside world, especially for important emergency info and updates.

Someone has already mentioned having an apothecary at home. At the very least, everyone should have a good first aid kit and the skills to use it. I'm going to do a separate post on First Aid kits and medical supplies to have at home for sheltering in place.

• dipat2005

When living in an apartment there are a lot of things one cannot do. I have no patio or place to Barbeque or really even a place to sit outside. I usually go to a park if I want to sit outside. We just received a tenant letter that said we couldn't even have Barbeques on the premises. Amazing!! Some people have backyards and cannot even keep anything in the backyard.

• Torey

@dipat2005 The butane camp stoves can safely be used inside. The single units fit into a small case (about 14"x14"x4") so they are easy to store. Sterno canned gel fuel is another option for using indoors.

• dipat2005

@torey thank you for the information on butane camp stoves and the reminder about Sterno canned gel fuel.

• dipat2005

@RustBeltCowgirl thank you sharing about the different ways to filter water.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Here's link out of Outdoor Life (also showed up on Pocket) for Emergency Cooking.

• Torey

@RustBeltCowgirl Thanks for the reminder about solar ovens.

There is a blog article on sun ovens with a video of @Marjory Wildcraft unpacking her new oven at:

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a long list of items to use for saving energy or for a power down scenario. However, at the moment I am saving energy by not typing the long list.

My husband recently purchased a kit to modify our gas generator to run on either gas, propane or natural gas. If you have the right type of generator, you can find a modification kit for around $200. We also own a solar generator.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have a fire pit and a grill outside. I also have a gas stove inside so it should still work during loss of power. Lots of flashlights. I recently watched a youtube video along these same lines and someine in a comment suggested the solar yard lights. Charge them outside during the day and have light all night!

There are also usb charging lighters that you can use to start fires.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a gas oven so we can light it with a lighter, my dad has a propane gas BBQ and I have one that uses either coals or wood.

As for lighting in the house, we have flashlights and a lot of candles.

Luckily, I love to read so when I lose electricity at home, as long as I have some light I can read.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Along these same lines, I think one of the best ways to test your ability to live off-grid is to go camping for a night or two without any "conveniences" like electricity, etc. You'll quickly discover which equipment works as you need it to, which doesn't, and any gaps in your planning!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are pretty well equipped for power outages since we live off grid anyway. We have both propane and charcoal BBQ grills. Built our own Berkey water filtration using Berkey filters and a couple food grade buckets. We have several oil lamps though we could use some new wicks and extra oil. We heat with wood anyway, so not a problem there. Hoping to build a rocket mass heater and stove soon.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome thread! I can't add a lot to what has already been said. If it was cold and I couldn't heat the house, I would pitch my one man tent in the living room and use my 30 below sleeping bag inside. I'd pad the floor with the 3 summer bags I have. With the 2 cats sleeping with me we should stay toasty.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

We have a wood burning fireplace, which we have used in many a power outage to warm the house. Cooking would be a bit more problematic in an extended power outage. We have a couple of propane camp stoves. Wouldn't want to rely on that in a really extended power outage if the stores run empty of propane. I got a Sun Oven but that might not work really well for our long dark winter days. Lighting shouldn't be a problem. Have a couple of oil lamps and several solar powered camping lanterns (Lucy).

I am wanting to get a water catchment system set up. We usually get plenty of rain in the winter (and spring and fall). We don't have a well or stream on our property so that isn't good. Would like to get a Berkey filter or something like that for filtering water. Some of the neighbors have wells or standing ponds. Just not sure who I would beg for water if that was also a problem.

I would love to put in a summer kitchen with a rocket stove. We do have a couple of BBQ grills and also a Dutch oven for cooking.

I'm kind of in the process of figuring out what I need to do in case of a worst-case scenario. Definitely need to work on the food situation and my garden is kind of pathetic.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marjstratton If your garden needs work in the long term, you may want to increase your storage of other foods at home. Do more canning, freezing, dehydrating, and so forth using food you buy. When your garden improves, you can use the preserving techniques on the garden produce.

Filtering water can be done with a simple, inexpensive backpacking filter. Or just boil water that is suspect.

Fireplaces are not very efficient. Too much of the heat goes up the chimney. If that's all you have use, it, but you would be better off getting a fireplace "insert" that is installed in the fireplace but acts as a more efficient stove.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

We have a Sun oven, which I have not gotten the knack of; we also bought a rocket stove. We have a still, but that seems kind of difficullt too. Candles, flashlights, and oil lamps will furnish light. Before we were married, during one power outage, my husband took toilet tissure, rolled it up, and put it in fat, and lighted it. We also have a solar-powered unit that will charge up B-pap machine, computer, or cell phone. That's all I can think of. We do have some extra food. We have a crank radio that also produces light.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Mother Earth News has recently added this DIY link for Solar Ovens.

• dipat2005

@RustBeltCowgirl thank you for the article on different methods of cooking. I have used all of those methods and they work. In a pinch I would need to go to a park to use any one of those methods. During fire season here there is no outside burning except in an outdoor Barbeque (which according to the tenant letter we received we cannot do). Great ideas!

• dipat2005

@Linda Bittle I love your idea of pitching a tent in your house. I would never have thought of that you for a marvelous idea! @RustBeltCowgirl also thank you for the link on Solar ovens!

• RustBeltCowgirl

Here's an interesting link from Morning Chores.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

Candles, flashlight, batteries, a lighter, wood and propane, newspaper, a shovel

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Those ash cakes sound interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

• dipat2005

@RustBeltCowgirl thanks for the link. I am going through the information now and realized I should mention that gallon jugs of water were not on the shelf in the grocery store and I talked to the store manager and he said they hadn't been able to get any for 2 or 3 days. I have been buying other water so I would have multiple smaller bottles for my pack. I cannot carry very much and since I over bought strawberries I can add a bit of water to a bottle lay it on it's side in the freezer and then pour cold water into and have the ice last longer.

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

What kind of solar generator do you have, and what do you recommend using it for? Can one run a whole home on a solar generator? Must items be hooked up to it at all times in order to use it, or does it feed into a battery from which appliances can draw power at any time? I'm really interested in a solar generator, but don't know if they generate enough power to be worth the money.