Keeping feed separate?

Hello! I have a laying flock of 14 hens and a rooster. This spring I added 35 new chicks, who are now 10 weeks old. We integrated all new ones early and very successfully. However I know they’re not supposed to be on layer feed yet. I have grower for them and layer for the older girls but my flock is basically free range and I do not know how to keep them out of each other’s food. Any wiser then me out there? They are very happy and healthy so far, and the older girls are still laying just fine.

Answers

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

If they are mixed & all free range, there isn't a way to keep the feed separate. I wouldn't concern myself with it.

I keep mine separate or if I have a broody who hatches chicks, I just give her chick feed. Its good for her body condition anyway Once the chicks are old enough, she goes with the adult birds and the young ones get grower.

I can't free range due to the number of foxes and other predators here.

• Sarah Peters
    Sarah Peters Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Great thank you!!! That’s what I was hoping! Do you think it’s best to leave both stages of feed out or just one?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your growers only eat the layer feed they won't get all the nutrition that they need. However, if the layers eat the grower feed they will only get extra nutrients. When I had some chickens that were laying and some pullets that weren't laying yet all in the same run I just fed all of them grower feed. They are all thriving.

• Sarah Peters
    Sarah Peters Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much!!! This is exactly the info I needed. And the layers seem to LOVE the grower feed anyway lol.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@Sarah Peters My thoughts were that if they are free ranging and you have the feed out, they will pick & choose for their needs. If you want eggs, the hens need calcium whether they get it from feed or otherwise. Grower could make them fat & may affect egg laying (not enough calcium) if enclosed in a pen all day, but since they are free range their diet changes.

If the growers eat layer feed, they may not grow as well...except that they are free ranging, which changes their diet immediately. Either way you choose, it shouldn't be a worry because they will fill the gaps through foraging.

Part of the issue with giving cockerels & roosters layer feed is that they may get too much calcium, which is hard on their kidneys (at least that is what I recall).