Whew! I'm almost done (chickens)
I am almost done doing a job that is very, very long overdue. I finally have all the pens I need to do it properly. I will have all my different flocks separated & all my unneeded roosters in their own specific pen awaiting their fate, um, trip to freezer camp, on a cool day.
It has been a bit of 🥴 🤔 😵💫 overwhelm in some respects. I thought I kept good records, but some lose their leg tags (that makes confusion if you want certain ones of the same breed separated later), some die, which messes up numbers, some succumb to predators, and some get moved temporarily somewhere else for whatever reason (like they are getting picked on & need to quarantine, then can't go back).
I prefer to not keep my birds mixed. If they always stay separate, there is no question about purity moving forward. It is also easier to keep track of everything.
😮💨 It is good to know this huge job will be complete today. It is a good day.
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter