Tomato powder

Michelle D
Michelle D Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@elchan7826 said that she was interested in ways to use tomato powder.

I figured I'd share my info for everyone. I have these listed in amounts to make the average jar if I were to purchase in the grocery store. Please add more ideas if anyone has them!

Tomato paste: 1/4 cup tomato powder with 1/2 cup water

Tomato sauce: 1/4 cup powder with 1 cup water

Spaghetti sauce: 1/2 cup powder, 2 cups water and your favorite seasoning.

Pizza sauce: 1/3 cup powder with 1 cup water, pizza seasoning to taste.

Here is a list ratios for using with your own recipes to make some favorites (tomato powder to water) :

Tomato soup, enchilada sauce and ketchup: 1 to 3

Bbq sauce: 1 to 2

I also use tomato powder in savory breads or in Spanish rice without any rehydration before hand.

Tagged:

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Michelle D I just bought some tomato powder and now I have more uses for it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,358 admin

If only I could make tomato powder...well, nevermind. I found a somewhat quick & easy way to do it. No more wishing!

I know for a fact that I'll be overrun with tomatoes this year. Not only did I plant a lot like what produced like crazy last year, but I had volunteers that popped up in my indoor plants & a whole bunch of huge & healthy volunteers in the corn (mostly) and other parts of the garden.

I know why they are there. Those cherry tomatoes kept producing & I couldn't get all of them. Some I only discovered as I stepped on them as I tried to make my way through the tangled jungle. Frustrating last year, but hmmm...not so bad this year!

https://food52.com/blog/25504-how-to-make-tomato-powder

One thing we used to have as a treat sometimes was "holiday popcorn" a tomato powder (maybe a soup mix?) was a main ingredient. I loved that popcorn! Now that I can make the powder, I need to find a recipe like it.

It might be like this one, but most likely it had added herbs...think oregano & basil. I dont think it had any spicy heat. It was very tasty.

Some others to try:

• Michelle D

@LaurieLovesLearning popcorn is my go to snack. I'm always looking for fun ways to spice it up. That pizza popcorn sounds amazing. Have you tried it?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2022

@Michelle D No, I haven't tried any of these recipes. I actually just found them while looking for the recipe I have tasted, which is called Holiday Popcorn, which had a tomato base. I can't find that recipe anywhere. 😞

That one was one of my favorites to eat as a kid. We'd put everything into a paper bag & shake it. That was very fun.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2022

I found the recipe!

HOLIDAY POPCORN

1 cup melted butter

1 pkg tomato soup mix

2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp oregano

1 1/2 tsp onion salt

1 tsp garlic salt

Shake with popcorn in a paper bag.

I think I might just add a bit of dill &/basil. I have no idea what spices the soup mix might have. I wonder what weight it was too.

I looked up soup packets. Knorr has one at 55g. It will take a bit of experimenting.

• Michelle D

@LaurieLovesLearning that recipe sounds great. I'm so happy for you that you found it! Please let us know how your experimenting going.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭

I find tomato powder so useful. Lots of recipes call for 1T or so of tomato paste and then I never knew what to do with the rest before it went bad. With the powder I can make as much as I need when I need it.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D Thanks for this post! I will be getting some tomato powder for sure---and the recipes sound great!

• Michelle D

@water2world you're welcome. Do you have a dehydrator? It is really easy to make your own and much more cost effective than purchasing it.

• water2world

@ Michelle D No, I don't have a dehydrator, but it is on my WISH List! Never even thought about making tomato powder!

Which dehydrator would you recommend?

Do you just dry the tomatoes and then crush into a powder?

Thanks for any info!! You've got me started!!

• Michelle D

@water2world the dehydrator that I have was a gift. I didn't pick it out and although it works well and I'm glad to have it, I know that there are much better ones out there. I don't know which is the best dehydrator but I have heard a lot of great things about the Excalibur.

It is possible to make tomato powder in the oven. This link may be helpful.

https://dryingallfoods.com/how-to-make-tomato-powder-at-home/

• water2world

@Michelle D Oh wow----That is a great link! Thank you so much!!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, in So. Calif. our electric bills have doubled with some lame explanation, so for me it is cheaper to buy things then make my own with a dehydrator at this time.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited August 2022

@water2world You will also find instructions in the link I left above on July 28. I imagine the instructions are basically the same, but sometimes there are bits of information one link may have that another doesn't.

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks---somehow missed that. I saw the parts on popcorn, but my mind must have been in a whirl! lol

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another tip that may help, if you freeze the whole tomatoes, then thaw them in a bowl or something, much of the liquid will drain off. This should make dehydrating much faster.

Plus the tomato water is very tasty.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not overrun with tomatoes this year, but hopefully there will be a year when I am and then I'll make tomato powder. Since I don't use a pressure canner, I won't be preserving that way.

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Vickym, great to know that I can use frozen tomatoes! I put up a handful every day in the freezer and then cook them down and can tomato sauce (mostly) at the end of the season but this sounds like a wonderful way to have those small amounts on hand for recipes. I would like to know how you are all grinding yours down? I have a food processor and a vitamix and I’d love to know which would be best…before I make a mess.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought tomato powder on Amazon to make instant meals for camping, but haven't tried to make it myself from my own tomatoes.

Tomato powder works very well in recipes. The only issue I've had is that when stored in a plastic jar with a screw top, after a few months it starts to stick together and is difficult to scrape out with a spoon. It might do better in a canning jar with a better-sealing lid.