The forth generation: The stories continue...

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

In todays world life is hectic and people move, often to much. It's sort of a way of the world. But some of us are blessed with a long family history in one place.

My family in the south can say there have been 7 generations that have lived in one home and often been born there.

In my family up here in the north it has been 4 generations. The stories that can be told and shared are amazing and a true gift. Some even have a common thread even as life evolves.

Does anyone else have such a home or history? Please share.

And of course you know there will be me families adventures shared below.

Comments

• Monek Marie

Often it is the simple things in a home that speak out to you.

At out family home, it was the maple trees in the front yard. Our family was forced to move from a small town called Kinzua when they decided to put a dam there. Numerous towns would be lost along with family history. My parents when hearing the final decision decided to move as quickly as possible to find a home before the mad rush hit. They search a large area and finally one day they were taken to a house that sat on a long dirt road, just about at the top of a hill.

My mother was somewhat familiar with this road, but not the house. And as many of you know, house hunting is exhausting.

As they rounded the one corner of the road, they came to a house with 8 huge maple trees. It was November, a cloudy day, but just as they turned in the drive a ray of sun hit the trees and the the bright red leaves in the front yard and the yard glowed with color and light. My mom knew this is where she wanted to raise her kids.

Throughout our years of growing up we had these beautiful days of color and shade provided in the summer. Front yard picnics, camping, watching the clouds float by are only a few memories shared by each generation.

The tree are older and there are only 5 left but picnics, lazy hot summer days and daily adventure continues.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin

Absolutely - my family has been in the Carolinas and VA since the late 1600s.... longer if you include native heritage (but that gets a little murky in terms of documentation). Tons of history!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

I don't have that history in one place. Unfortunately, I never will. I am 3rd generation Canadian. My ancestors moved here when they fled persecution in Russia in the 1880s.

My grandparents on the one side homesteaders, complete with being given land and having to clear it and all that goes along with setting up from scratch. They would have had a full quarter, except that my grandfather couldn't read & his brother took advantage of that fact and claimed the other 80 acres for himself.

They travelled to their new place in a covered wagon. My grandfather farmed with horses for many years. He trapped, hunted for food and grew the most prolific garden around. They always shared their abundance.

They didn't have much otherwise, but made it work. My grandparents were well known in the area for their hospitality during hunting season & beyond.

Unfortunately, after my uncle repeatedly reassured the family that the land would stay in the family but refusing to let anyone in the family buy it, he sold it for very, very little to one of the area residents. He had no use for it. He lives in the city and will never leave. That secret sale (done while he lied to family) caused a lot of turmoil, and I think that's a mild term.

We were by there a couple weeks ago. The house is gone (I have a hand-hewn support beam from the house) and the yard & always weedless garden is now badly neglected.

If only it could have stayed within the family. To have something remain within a family for generations is certainly something to be proud of.

I am glad that I encouraged family members to write memory stories of their experiences there, along with a few pictures. It was done as a gift to my grandpa and he read it many times over. The book was returned to me once he passed on. At least I can continue to hold onto that.

• Monek Marie
    edited July 2022

There are many homes that don't have a family history, some can be very sad. The home up the road, which once belonged on this property and was a caretakers home. Once sold it fell in to total disrepair and had to be burned. You could tell at one time it had character.

@LaurieLovesLearning I am glad you have a beam and keep those stories and photos. What a treasure

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I had a friend that had multiple generations all living within the same neighborhood. They all worked the family farm but each had their own home. The barn holding the most history and stories, still stands about 5+ generations later.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandparents on my mother's side had a homestead. I believe they had intended for it to be kept in the family for the generations. When my mother was young the government took the land from them to build a highway.

My husband's grandmother has a horse farm. It had been in her late husband's family for several generations. They purchased it from his uncle when they married. They had no children together so the property will be passed on to the kids she already had when they married. It is extremely important that it stay in the family because some of the passed family members are laid to rest in the back field.

Having a multi generational property would be amazing. Maybe one day I can set something up that will be there for my future grandkids and their kids.