feathers falling

Hi all, wish you are having a good day. Please share your answers or suggestions to my inquiry. I've been having these hens for about 3 months now, following Marjory's system. One of them, Luci, (must be about 1-1/2 years) lost some of her feathers in one wing and it's been like that for a while; since she doesn't present any other symptoms and the peeled spot is tiny, I ignored it as I was also busy getting to learn to have hens for the first time ever. About 1 week ago, her other wing appeared a little bit peeled, as we can see in the pictures. (she doesn't like to be taken pics) What should I do?? Is this a problem? Also, yesterday, for the first time ever, I found soft feathers everywhere inside the coup. I have 5 adult hens and they look healthy and have been happy and laying eggs. Do they change their feathers like this once in a while?? Should I be worried about something? The feathers all over the coop might not have anything to do with Luci's peeled wings, though. What do you think? Thanks.

Best Answers

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@C.Patricia welcome to the forums! I don't think that there is a simple answer for your question. Some feather lose is normal for chickens. Feathers can come out from normal day to day activities but it can also be a sign of a problem. To date my hens have not had any feather loss that has been worrisome to me but I have done some research on the issue in the past to be prepared if or when I do run into problems. To the best of my knowledge there are a few main reasons a hen will loose feathers. They include annual molt, nutritional deficiency, picking (hens picking on each other, literally) and toxicity. I am not an expert but I would start by watching to make sure it isn't picking, check to make sure that their feed is sufficient and check their living are for anything toxic. Mold would be a big one to check for especially if there is a lot of moisture around.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum, @C.Patricia! Please leave a short intro in our Introductions section so we can get an idea where you are from. 😀

Molting is a very real possibility. You will see a decrease in lay if that is the case. Birds usually molt 2×/year. On that time, they will need more protein that will help them produce their new feathers. I see that in the first picture, her neck appears be be losing feathers too. That's why I think it is molting.

If you are feeding a prepared feed, most likely there isn't a nutrition deficiency.

It looks like you have hybrids. I found that hybrid layers tend to have more issues with feather picking & bullying. They get protein by eating feathers and if there is blood it will lead to more picking and possibly even cannibalism. It could be that this one is also at yhe bottom of the pecking order as well.

I have not heard about the toxicity issue causing this, but it never hurts to make sure mold isn't present in feed or elsewhere. You also don't want galvanized waterers and acids, like ACV, mixing.

You might want to check for parasites like lice or mites. Both are fast and hate light exposure. Look for pictures online so you knoe what you are looking for. It's good to do this periodically anyway. Check at the neck (where the feathers are being lost), and at the vent (bum), and under the wings. These are the most likely spots to see these things.

Answers

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@C.Patricia I was wondering as well if there may be any signs of predators. Most predators can either get through, bite or rip through chicken wire. Welded hardware cloth (1/4") is best.

Keep an eye open for any signs. But generally a predator won't just pluck feathers without a kill, and don't usually pluck wings.

Are they free range or always contained?

• C.Patricia
    C.Patricia Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I just wanted to share an update. You were right, they were picking, fighting. I had 3 young ones for weeks, and then about a month later I brought 2 old ones. They were not getting along and I always thought they could get over it at one point, but I had to separate them for 5 days to calm them down. It was pretty much a young one, which is big against an old one, who is a lot smaller. This caused her to scream all day, I was getting nuts, they were too noisy. Once I brought them back together, they were more peaceful and I started to give them leftovers from my kitchen and that seems to make them happy. They are fine now. No mold, no parasites at all.

On the other hand, the feather loss has not occurred again yet. I think that what might've caused it was that I gave them fermented veggies for the first time ever and for a few days. That was the only new, unusual thing I did at the time. If it wasn't that, I don't know what could've happened.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine the fermented food being a problem. We ferment our feed for our chickens and they love it. Have been doing this through the summer for years. We are in Alaska and off grid so doesn't work well in winter. Feed freezes before they eat it all. I would guess most likely it was the pecking and bullying.

We also add a little fire cider to their water once a week to help maintain their immune systems. Used to use straight ACV with the mother. But found bloody poo one day and had no medicine for coccidiosis on hand and was not able to get to town for any at the time. Gave them all some fire cider and everything cleared up. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not, but have given it to them ever since.

Another idea for the future. When we need to add birds to an existing group we do it at night after dark. Seems like they don't notice as much if they wake up together.