Community Garden ideas, hits & misses?
Over the last 7 months I’ve been involved as a voluntary facilitator with a local organisation, discussing how communities can become more resilient. Every month we learn about & discuss different topics. So far we’ve touched on Fire, water, energy, economy & this month it’s food & in September it’s health. The topics have been so interwoven but the thing that comes up time & time again is a community garden. So this months topic on food, a community garden will be front & centre. We’ve also reached out to our local council & have a meeting planned to discuss preliminary options. In our general area there are a couple of successful community gardens & I’ve invited the president of one of those to come along & sit at the table. As a community we really want this to work, it’s gaining traction & there are some very passionate people involved.
What I’m asking from the TGN community is advice on the start up of such a venture. Things like, is a committee important, Insurance, selling or swapping excess produce, dealing with different personalities & egos (conflict resolution) etc & anything I have not considered. At different times in my life, I have seen well intended actions start with enthusiasm & flourish for a while & then fizzle & die. I do not want this to happen on this project.
Your thoughts & ideas will be very welcome.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter